craner

Beast of Burden
45. Madonna, Into the Groove

Sonic Youth were the gateway to this one. They did a cover as "Ciccone Youth" - Ciccone's Madonna's last name - which I used to think was brilliant before slowly realising my favourite bits were the bits where the original briefly comes in over the top and that eventually turning into just listening to the original.

Apparently Madonna's label tried to sue them and she stepped in on SY's behalf.

I fucking hate Madonna, but this is a banger.

version

49. John Cale, Baby You Know

Possibly my favourite live album and Cale at his most blistering. This was around the time he was doing mountains of coke and took to wearing a hockey mask on stage - although I don't think he wore it for this particular show - also a few years after he pissed off his entire band and lost his vegetarian drummer due to hacking the head off a dead chicken with a meat cleaver during a show in London.

version

50. Morrissey, Jack the Ripper (Live)

I like The Smiths a lot, but I’ve been surprised by my own drifting toward Morrissey’s solo material over the years. Perhaps just a case of being less familiar with the latter and having overplayed the former, but it’s a definite trend in my listening habits. The thing that makes this for me though is the guitar, much like Marr with The Smiths, so maybe what I’m really drawn to is his taste in guitarists.

Obligatory mention of the man himself being a complete arse, particularly nowadays and particularly when he talks politics.

version

51. The Velvet Underground, The Gift (Instrumental)

A long time ago I came to the conclusion The Gift would be their best tune if it weren't for the spoken word vocals. Sometimes the universe smiles on you.

(I do like the original, but the instrumental's too good to be relegated to a backing track.)

luka

53. Zinc, Show Me

One from Luka’s golden summer of 2014; Rinse FM Pop at its finest.

i saw a lot of woops that year. i was running a coffee cart on chiswell st and he was sleeping in the basement of Royal London House on Finsbury Square, just round the corner. I'd have rinse on the radio. It was the end of my coffee career. I was in my mid 30s and although I didn't mind the work it just wasn't socially acceptable to do it any longer.

version

54. Johnny Jungle, Johnny '94 (Origin Unknown Remix)

I’ve seen it said there are better remixes of this, but there aren’t. This is the one. Absolute monster. A perfect example of what @shiels was talking about re: the drums being the catchiest/most memorable part of a tune. Also features samples from a 90s film with a Jamaican gang that isn’t Predator 2!

Last edited: