craner

Beast of Burden
41. The Rolling Stones, Doo Doo Doo Doo Doo (Heartbreaker)

One of the few British skating companies with some clout when I was a teenager was a company called Blueprint. It was nice having something like that around as the bulk of the industry was, and probably still is, American and there’s always going to be some distance there. Anyway Blueprint put out this big, double-disc vid in the mid-’00s called Lost and Found and this was one of the songs on it. Paul Shier skated to it. I wasn’t that taken with his actual skating at the time, but loved the feel of that section and this tune so much I ended up watching it over and over.

Somewhat topical, given the ongoing protests in the US too.

The police in New York City
They chased a boy right through the park
In a case of mistaken identity
They put a bullet through his heart

Heartbreakers with your forty four
I wanna tear your world apart
You heartbreaker with your forty four
I wanna tear your world apart

Good choice, overlooked album.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
Just to be absolutely clear, it's Jude Rogers.
Joking, of course. An NME-reading, Britpop-obsessed Guardian music writer?! In Dissensian terms that puts you in good company with Dapper Laughs and Bashar al-Assad in the spiritual pecking order.

version

A. Jude Rogers, Dapper Laughs and Bashar al-Assad.
Q. If you could have dinner with three persons, living or dead, who would you pick?

luka

33. Mary Jane Girls, All Night Long

The GTA games, and Vice City in particular, shaped the tastes of an entire generation. I don't think you see the fetishisation of the 80s you get online these days without millions of teenagers growing up on that game.

done a thread about this GTA thing

luka

36. Loski, Famlee

Burial does this thing in his later material where he takes traditionally lo-fi sounds like radio static and smoothes them off with EQ and filter sweeps. There's something about it that really gets me, like when the spoon goes through chocolate mousse and leaves a clean yet bubbled texture. It conjures up all these images and associations; smoke blown into a glass, the ghost shark, stealth bombers.

This tune doesn't have the same skip to it some of the other drill stuff does. It lumbers a bit like dubstep did, but there's a tension and release throughout which gives it a bit of a bounce and stops it being too plodding whilst also swerving some of the claustrophobia that comes with the stuff like Moscow Lightwork that never loosens its grip.

this one is magic. best.

version

43. Maryn, Dreamboy (Reserva)

This one's odd. I think it's a reissue and was recorded decades ago, but I don't actually know and can't really place it. Found it a while back via a channel called oddSample with a pretty distinctive spread of tunes. It's also another one released by Peoples Potential Unlimited, the label who put out that Lisa Warrington thing I posted earlier in the thread - 21.

version

44. Crazy Titch, When I’m Ere (?)

Does this one even have a legit title? Obviously it's Shank Riddim, but I dunno that it has any connection to the Roll Deep tune aside from that, does it? I don’t think there's anyone in grime who can match Titch’s energy when he's on. He even manages to make blowing a raspberry sound sick!

linebaugh

43. Maryn, Dreamboy (Reserva)

This one's odd. I think it's a reissue and was recorded decades ago, but I don't actually know and can't really place it. Found it a while back via a channel called oddSample with a pretty distinctive spread of tunes. It's also another one released by Peoples Potential Unlimited, the label who put out that Lisa Warrington thing I posted earlier in the thread - 21.

Beginning of this song is unsettling. Like it was generated by an AI or someone to whom music had only ever been described. That quality lingers the whole track actually.

version

45. Madonna, Into the Groove

Sonic Youth were the gateway to this one. They did a cover as "Ciccone Youth" - Ciccone's Madonna's last name - which I used to think was brilliant before slowly realising my favourite bits were the bits where the original briefly comes in over the top and that eventually turning into just listening to the original.

Apparently Madonna's label tried to sue them and she stepped in on SY's behalf.

version

46. John T. Gast, Kids C Ghosts (Bankruptcy Dub)

Big man Gast with a Kanye and Cudi flip. I like the original, but this I could listen to for hours. 1:23 when the moans creep in then the bass note at 1:33…

Gast's one of the more intriguing recent (read: last ten years or so) artists, imo. There are obvious reference points - dub, grime, techno - and you can tell he was involved in Hype Williams but he's got his own thing going on and he's managed to come up with a synthesis of rural and urban Britain which sticks stone circles and druids alongside pirate radio without becoming some naff, hippy thing.

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
29. The Sleepy Jackson, Good Dancers

Shimmering rays of golden sunlight.

One of my mates in school had this as his profile song on MySpace. He works for the Home Office now. He wasn't a good dancer, but then again, neither am I.

I missed this!

Amazing chutzpah.

Love the anecdote, too.

Last edited:

version

47. Rod Stewart, Maggie May

There's a scene in Lords of Dogtown, the dramatization of the story of the Zephyr skate team, where Skip (Heath Ledger)'s shaping a surfboard in the back of the shop he used to own and his new boss, a customer he insulted earlier in the film, comes in asking for an ETA on the board. He leaves and Skip's left on his own, ruminating, before cranking up the radio just as this kicks in and getting back to work, pausing only to sigh at and take a swig from a bottle left on the side. It's only a couple of minutes or so, but it's the best bit in the film.

As for Rod, I just love his voice and this song. Also he's always reminded me of George C. Scott for some reason.

version

48. Mariya Takeuchi, Plastic Love

The YouTube algorithm really seems to push this Japanese stuff at people. This one I actually ended up listening to and loving. The Holy Algorithm.