version

I think the blind spot in that sort of thinking is these groups are made up of individuals. There isn't a lot to express about being a middle-class white man, but individual middle-class white men may have personal experiences other middle-class white men don't and which they can express with sincerity.

entertainment

I'm dying to express something about myself, I'm daydreaming about going to to some corrupt destitute country and risking my life trying to help people for 5 years so my voice becomes substance

entertainment

I think the blind spot in that sort of thinking is these groups are made up of individuals. There isn't a lot to express about being a middle-class white man, but individual middle-class white men may have personal experiences other middle-class white men don't and which they can express with sincerity.

Of course, I'm talking about what is deemed interesting culturally right now, not what is genuinely interesting. I agree 100% that there is a reason why white people adopt irony.

Luka had a quote in here from a Prynne interview once that's applicaple. Something about how you can put forward any claim to happiness while all this horrible stuff goes on, that creative expression opens up the forces of lamentation and that that leads to irony.

version

When I think of middle-class white men expressing themselves, it's basically moody literature, rock music about wanting to kill yourself, films about being unhappily married. Maybe there's nothing to express because middle-class white men spend so much time thinking about themselves they never really do or experience anything?

entertainment

When I think of middle-class white men expressing themselves, it's basically moody literature, rock music about wanting to kill yourself, films about being unhappily married. Maybe there's nothing to express because middle-class white men spend so much time thinking about themselves they never really do or experience anything?

yeah maybe

version

This would explain why they can't dance, have to express everything through irony and so on. They're crippled by a particular kind of self-awareness.

luka

that's right.

i got the impression it was 'i was a self involved adolescent. hard to love. got a hand job in a cinema. loved it. still in the wank bank that day. later, got married. inattentive self involved husband., got divorced. moped. considered emptiness of comfortable middle class life under consumer capitalism. didn't really care about anything. none of us really do. got married again. had affairs. became best selling author'

version

He has his moments - the burning building analogy, the terror of silence passage - and the stuff he was tackling re: entertainment and addiction is important and perceptive, but he writes like Hugh Grant speaks in Four Weddings..., I don't trust his sincerity and he doesn't seem to be as clever as he thinks he is. I also can't stand the way he uses postmodern tricks whilst claiming it's different when he does it.

I couldn't finish Inifinite Jest like everyone else. I liked his short stories a lot though, Good Old Neon especially and the one about the cruise.

entertainment

I wish that rich white people would still be writing florid poems about breasts and the magnificence of their motherland. I wouldn't be into them, but it would be nice.