Corpsey

bandz ahoy
Only on dissensus would this thread end up with a discussion about DFW 😂

Oh, and Prynne's been mentioned too!

Time for me to connect this all to Yeats somehow. (Actually, it would be really easy.)

luka

Have we got any other authentic working class people on dissensus? Only me? The only real person?

no, there's at least 2 more. they're not class traitors like you though. they're work in iron foundries and are union organisers.

craner

Beast of Burden
Only on dissensus would this thread end up with a discussion about DFW 😂

Oh, and Prynne's been mentioned too!

Time for me to connect this all to Yeats somehow. (Actually, it would be really easy.)

The thing I like about Killah Priest is that he avoids all these categories by just writing about history and the cosmos.

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
Have we got any other authentic working class people on dissensus? Only me? The only real person?

How did you get in here?

As luka and I have discussed, I've often been thought of and thought of myself as a tall, spindly, aristocratic type when in fact I'm a short, stocky, resentful plebian with ideas about my station.

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
After we had that discussion I had a much diminished conception of myself. I saw myself as the stunted packet of shoulder-chips that I really am – and it burned.

Later that day I began writing my first novel.

DannyL

Wild Horses
no, there's at least 2 more. they're not class traitors like you though. they're work in iron foundries and are union organisers.

I could claim to be from working class stock but then I think of choice of professions and realise I (and all my colleagues) should be executed by a People's Tribunal.

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
Chapter the Fourth: Jacob Starts Work at the Travelodge Head Office, and Gets into Some Difficulties with A Vending Machine

Leo

my dad grew up dirt poor on a farm, worked his whole life as a truck driver, my mom worked in a textile factory. I mucked it all up, went to college and pursued a white collar career but at least I had working-class roots!

DannyL

Wild Horses
my dad grew up dirt poor on a farm, worked his whole life as a truck driver, my mom worked in a textile factory. I mucked it all up, went to college and pursued a white collar career but at least I had working-class roots!
I don't think the US has the same deeply weird relationship with class that we have. Pretty much everyone literate is slightly ashamed.

That's what happens when you don't behead the aristocracy and leave them in charge.

Leo

I don't think the US has the same deeply weird relationship with class that we have. Pretty much everyone literate is slightly ashamed.

yeah. what you see as shame, we call Living The American Dream.

luka

something will come up Danny! you'll be the top therapist in the world by the end of the year you mark my words.