luka

less so now perhaps. rave culture served to destratify (deterritorialise even if you fancy it) London to a large degree. but those lines have been redrawn. that's what i think a lot of hipster culture was about. the aggressive marking off of a middle class identity.

luka

one of the biggest influences on me growing up was a nominally working class Jamacian from Forest Gate who liked violence (he was featured on Crimewatch beating someone up in Romford) rap music, Oasis, Green Day, weed, clothes, and books. and there was never any thing of i like this stuff im not supposed to like, i do these things im not supposed to do. he did what he wanted and it meant no one ever questioned him. everyone deferred to him,. he was always the most powerful person in any room becasue he was the freest.

i learned a lot from that. its not a question of transgressing borders so much as disregarding them completly. becasuse they only apply to the little people.

luka

we've got violent men on here. Danny L has performed many acts of terrible violence for instance. Version is very violent. Version talks about his acts of violence in that loving way the true fighters do. Like it's an erotic act, which it is for some people.

craner

Beast of Burden
one of the biggest influences on me growing up was a nominally working class Jamacian from Forest Gate who liked violence (he was featured on Crimewatch beating someone up in Romford) rap music, Oasis, Green Day, weed, clothes, and books. and there was never any thing of i like this stuff im not supposed to like, i do these things im not supposed to do. he did what he wanted and it meant no one ever questioned him. everyone deferred to him,. he was always the most powerful person in any room becasue he was the freest.

i learned a lot from that. its not a question of transgressing borders so much as disregarding them completly. becasuse they only apply to the little people.

Music is freedom, ridicule is nothing to be scared of.

we've got violent men on here. Danny L has performed many acts of terrible violence for instance. Version is very violent. Version talks about his acts of violence in that loving way the true fighters do. Like it's an erotic act, which it is for some people.

It is a very particular thrill. I'm surprised by you and version... i'd have it the other way round. that's the thing, you never know

entertainment

its not a question of transgressing borders so much as disregarding them completly. becasuse they only apply to the little people.

I doubt it's possible for most people (I think it's impossible for me).

Strategies are commonly more complex than simply transgressing or adhering to boundaries. Traits you pick that are specifically designed to surprise and remain elusive, forced eclecticism e.g.

It's always part of it isn't it

luka

some people are like that but also your generation have been trained into it in an unfortunate way.

entertainment

social media surely has amplified this hyperawareness of identity narrative but I feel like i've always had a sense of it

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
Luka liking Dickens has been very liberating for me because he had been impressing upon me for the last few years that "story books" (as he called them) are for children.

I watched The Imitation Game the other day (it's alright) and they have Turing say several times "Do you know why people are violent? Because they enjoy it."

When he said that I pictured version for some reason, half-consciously licking a blood splat off his chin. It wasn't his blood. It was the oaf in the boozer who'd loudly slagged off Pynchon.

entertainment

i'm not saying that it's the dominant impulse, just that it's always there, so that when people claim that they're completely free of it, I get suspicious

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
I've always hated violence, except the fun kind you get in movies/video games/happening in the street below me, and nobody can see me peering through the blinds.