craner

Beast of Burden
There was an interesting response to The Shock Doctrine by somebody from the very free-market Heritage Foundation that gives a good perspective on the gulf between the respective worldviews and their motivations. I'll find it now, half a tic.

version

The cynic in me says presenting this stuff as a binary choice between personal responsibility and structural issues is an attempt to prevent collective responsibility and organisation.

luka

The cynic in me says presenting this stuff as a binary choice between personal responsibility and structural issues is an attempt to prevent collective responsibility and organisation.

On who's part? Babylon?

mvuent

Void Dweller
I'm arguing that it does precisely the opposite. That it fills the space where that thinking would otherwise happen.

are you sure thinking would otherwise happen? the vast majority of people are pretty fucking stupid, including me

luka

Neoconservatism for instance was a set of ideas which found powerful patrons who, according to Craner, eventually used those ideas for window dressing for a more brutal project and betrayed them. I think that's how the story goes?

craner

Beast of Burden
Neoconservatism for instance was a set of ideas which found powerful patrons who, according to Craner, eventually used those ideas for window dressing for a more brutal project and betrayed them. I think that's how the story goes?

No, in this case I said the patrons were captured by the ideas. The ideas were then destroyed when they were put into practice in Iraq. But that's only true if you focus on the post-Cold War, foreign policy-focused manifestation of neoconservatism.

craner

Beast of Burden
Yes it is, but I'm pushing you here because you seem to be implying things happen magically without any interests pushing for them

I don't believe this. I would say that interests are multiple, overlapping and contradictory, and are not controlled by a center. The same with motives.