Lorenzo Senni

IdleRich

IdleRich
Thing is.... if "soul" is meaningless in music (which it is) that's just as much a problem for people banging on about escaping it in the name of inhuman soulless machine music as it is for authentic soulboy types.

pattycakes_

Can turn naughty
@version good stuff.

asking 'yes, but what is _____?' is a philosophical trap. And in some cases, a cheap shot (not aiming that at you.) This word we're talking about is something you either know & feel or not. If not, and you have no inclination to explore it, because your mind is made up and you're coming at it all rational logical, it will never get anywhere. But that seems to be the point of asking that anyway. Soul music and the soul itself are neither rational or logical so to use that approach seems a tad, I dunno, lazily dismissive?

Last edited:

pattycakes_

Can turn naughty
that's better, because it's closer to an actual definition than just repeating the word "soul" like a totemic mantra.

Here inlies the problem. The stigmas rub you lot the wrong way. We went through the same thing talking about The Depths. Which, you had no trouble accepting that it was something you either get or you don't. Why is soul different? Luka couldn't click with it because the word deep made him feel weird. In this thread Rich assumed I was talking soulboy. And then even after it was clarified I wasn't, it didn't matter because the alert signal was already going off. As for my post being an actual definition, I feel like most of this stuff should go without saying. I mean, there's a genre called soul, right? Surely that would be a decent guide for most people to instinctively get it? Discussing this word in a theoretic manner (or however you put that) is a square peg in a round hole.

I'm saying there's no universal quality "soul" that you or Cornel West or anyone can know and say this has it and that does not

I wonder how this statement would fare in front of, say, James Brown?

the key tenet of soulboyism is the worship of authenticity conceived as soulful

Strawman.

TBC.

Last edited:

thirdform

pass the sick bucket

i fail to see how this isn't soulful. sure, it's not soulful in the Blues People lineage of Amiri Baraca, but it is a European soulfulness.

I think it's overwrought and manipulative, but I'm not a teenage European in Poland who has only heard whatever black music is in the charts. I know the stuff its referencing, I know the stuff its a cheap imitation of. If I didn't, it might genuinely appeal to me at the age of 16 or whatever. Like I don't think soul can be either positive or negative, yet it can be both.. For me the problem isn't destroying beyond soul per se, just historically situating soul music as a particular African American form, and looking beyond that. Otherwise much turkish music goes in harder than motown, yet it wouldn't be right to call it soul, in that sense, maybe even racially insensitive, depending on how it was framed.

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
one of the most revealing comments on that tune:

Kristian802 years ago
This is one of my favourite trance tunes of all time. They definitely don't make them like this anymore. Is it me or has the world just got super cheesy. Trance now sounds like shit euro pop. Bring back real thumping driving baselines and good quality heart wrenching synth melodies.....

and this for something I think is irredeemable cack from the outset!

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
Lee Kennedy3 months ago
Id pretty much reached the end of my tether today with fucking lockdown,i listened to this and just brokedown,human emotion eh?

what makes these peoples experiences of soul invalid?

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
Trance 'feelings' are not soul-related. They are related to awe and revelationary meaningness. Problem is those feelings are holy and invoked too easily. Trance is a trick.

right, knock-off whiteboy gospel! But that is where most soul comes from in the black american tradition, surely?

chava

Gospel is not really soul, maybe gospel is in fact trance related. Can't think clear now

luka

Trance 'feelings' are not soul-related. They are related to awe and revelationary meaningness. Problem is those feelings are holy and invoked too easily. Trance is a trick.

Trance is a trick, true. This is why I suggested the history of recorded music is part of a huge deconditioning programme.

luka

Your brain learns to unhook itself from these conditioned responses, stop salivating when it hears the bells ringing

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
It's soul for 16 year old Bartosz from Warsaw who has only heard skrillex.

Like everything, soul in music depends on history and exposure.

The term soul music would be pretty absurd in arabic or turkish etc, it would mean afterlife music. Music for the soul, now that makes much more sense.

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
this is healing music for the soul, but check the dialectical title patty.

and the jbs samples!

one of the most important releases in 1990s recorded music.

listen to the whole ep!

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
anyway why are we discussing this? plenty of great italian demented music to discuss better than lorenzo senni.

sorry patty, but whilst i take drugs on the regular, i am politically and morally straight edge.

it's something i realised after quitting weed, a revolting, lamentable and toxic drug pushed by the CIA to turn you into a lazy fart who thinks they are questioning and penetrating to the deepest layers of consciousness. but is not really. the real questioners are amphetamine psychotics, preferably mixed with some acid. why don't most rappers rap about snorting meth? Because America knows its act is up when meth is normalised and not seen as this trashy, dirty thing.

pattycakes_

Can turn naughty
Was gonna write some more responses to padraig (u.s) but I can't be arsed. I'm gonna go with Cornel.

@thirdform haven't been near much of anything aside from a couple of rogue weekends this year. Sober as fuck :/

version

It's impossible to talk about this stuff really. Too much of it comes from the gut. How do you distinguish between a trick and just not getting it? You can say someone uses cynical techniques like sticking big breakdowns in trance tunes in order to prompt certain feelings, but then people put big breakdowns in jungle tunes in order to prompt certain feelings. You can talk about the loss of the human, but then people probably said the same of Kraftwerk. You can talk about irony and pastiche, but that's been going on for decades. There's a component beyond language.