It was epic, an incredible show. Beautiful in many ways. But also too epic, overstuffed with its own seriousness, and some bad dialogue, as in too much exposition and not enough character. Such a vast world to force into a few hours so you can see why. The berghain nazi Harkonnen are the best and worst part, the aesthetics are incredible but also daft, they are one dimensional evil and their ruthlessness and violence is gratuitous but very enjoyable. Chalamet is bad, flat and unconvincing as a hero. If he barked orders to me in that high pitched whine I’d laugh in his face and backhand the gimp. It’s a good show overall but a lot flaws. It’s too big of a world for film maybe? The best bit is the worms, I felt like I just wanted more worms the whole time

luka

saw this yesterday, thought it was terrible. it is comically operatic first of all. within the first 30 minutes there are three or four scenes of different imperial spaceships arriving somewhere and delegations with solemn faces and hilarious costumes exiting the ramps in slowmotion to crescendoing chords in landscapes that look differently but all have the exact same sense of serene vastness to them.

this is the temparement throughout the film, in the way its shot to the way the story is told. every shot is hilariously stylized. like reading a novel where every other sentence is some grand aphorism. never do you get the feeling of inhabiting the world he's building. you're being taken through it like a theme park ride, every element propped up for and angled and lighted for maximum impact.

and then the worst thing is that nothing ever really happens in it. it's really boring and you don't really care about what happens because you never get the sense that the film sees the plot as anything but circumstancial.

either that there's this hymnal predetermination to it.
this is the best dissensus review of it by far

luka

specially this bit

every shot is hilariously stylized. like reading a novel where every other sentence is some grand aphorism. never do you get the feeling of inhabiting the world he's building. you're being taken through it like a theme park ride, every element propped up for and angled and lighted for maximum impact.

it is like a travel brochure hes completly right there.

luka

i do think there's something worthwhile in watching these state of the art, multi million $ films though.

luka

the use of the soundtrack is totally bizarre when you watch it at the cinema at ear splitting volume. imnipresent and very intrusive. nothing is allowed to stand alone. and you often can't hear the actors over it.
That’s a brilliant review. I don’t disagree but the thing is you’re seduced the whole time too
yeah i liked the film even though everything the Dane said is literally true.

Zimmer is very effective. The most jarring musical part was actually the yank playing blues guitar and his character overall was totally boring and uninteresting and i didn’t care about him at all. One very effective part was the multiple voices and deep voices used when the witches went into their weird incantations