padraig (u.s.)

a monkey that will go ape
btw you know who literally spent part of her career separating children from their parents in the name of a pointlessly cruel, useless, bullshit policy? Kamala Harris. when she was the District Attorney of San Francisco she decided - over the objections of her own staff - to prosecute the parents of habitually truant children (which is, obv, yet another penalty on poor ppl, and disproportionately POC). here she is laughing about it.

I'm not going to strawman you like you're doing to us and accuse you of not caring about the children whose parents Kamala locked up (or all the other victims of her appalling run as DA and AG), or of red-baiting for pushing the Dem establishment line that, contrary to the actual evidence, progressives are to blame for Democrats underperforming down-ballot. that's cos I think I know you well enough after all these years to give you the benefit of the doubt and assume yr views are sincerely held rather than, yunno, callous indifference to the suffering of children and sick ppl.

DannyL

Wild Horses
Who originated the policy of family separation for immigrants? Is it strictly a Trump thing, or does it have some kind of origin with the previous administration? I half read something about it a while back but don't recall details.

craner

Beast of Burden
There definitely needs to be a corrective to all the fawning bullshit about Harris. The kind of sanctimonious blanket puffery that has been going on with her is what drives people nuts.

padraig (u.s.)

There definitely needs to be a corrective to all the fawning bullshit about Harris. The kind of sanctimonious blanket puffery that has been going on with her is what drives people nuts.
I got you boss. I was actually just writing a short factual rundown on her like I did Biden earlier.

her record as SF DA/CA AG is truly appalling - it's definitely not just leftist quibbling. even in the context of a Democratic Party that has been running scared for decades before GOP accusations of softness by preemptively embracing tough guy law-and-order talk and policies, she really stands out for aggressiveness and there's no other word for it, cruelty.

some of her other greatest hits

• fighting hard to uphold wrongful convictions obtained through official misconduct (evidence tampering and suppression, false testimony, etc), as well as against compensatory payouts to victims of wrongful convictions
  • fighting tooth and nail for years against a Supreme Court order to reduce CA prison overcrowding, so hard that that judicial oversight panel nearly found the State of California in contempt
  • trying to stop low-level nonviolent offenders from being released so they could continue to be used as cheap labor
  • trying to get a class-action lawsuit by inmates to end solitary confinement (widely considered to be inhumane, not to say nightmarish) dismisssed. denying gender reassignment surgery for transgender inmates who requested it
  • actively fighting for the death penalty - she appealed the ruling of a judge in Orange County (noted bastion of liberalism) that it was unconstitutional, on the grounds that it "undermined important protections that our courts provide to defendants", presumably protection from continued life
  • actively opposing a bill requiring her office to investigate police shootings

On the other - pro-corporate and other big donors - side of the ledger, she overruled her own office's recommendation to prosecute Steve Mnuchin or anyone else at his bank, OneWest, for its illegal predatory foreclosures during the housing crisis following 2008 (unrelated fun fact, Mnuchin later donated to her 2016 Senate campaign, the only Democratic campaign he gave $ to that year). And she took a total pass on trying to constrain Big Tech in anyway, instead actively courting them for their $$$, the benefits - cheaply attained by their standards, I'm sure - of which they're now about to reap as they're poised to literally run the White House.

her rebranding as a "progressive prosecutor" is, even by the standards of such things, absolute bullshit, albeit. she didn't embrace any progressive criminal justice reforms until public opinion absolutely forced her hand and in most cases actively opposed them. and it's not like real progressive prosecutors don't exist - not abolition-level ofc, but ppl who are sincerely trying within the limits imposed on them to the make the criminal justice system less inequitable and needlessly cruel. Larry Krasner, the current DA of Philadelphia, is a great example.

padraig (u.s.)

one thing I will allow is that her rebrand, flimsy as it is, has been quite successful. all of that information is easily accessible, it was widely reported during the primaries and again in the lead-up to the VP pick - and not just by lefties, here's the NYT making similar points, and yet here we are with this rebrand of her as yr cool weed-smoking, social justice aunt. I'm sure it has absolutely nothing to do with how deeply beloved she is by the corporate donor class of big tech, finance, pharma, insurance, etc and their influence on corporate media.

here are some more laughing clips

here she is mocking the ridiculous idea that we should build more schools and less jails

here she is laughing about her own experiences smoking weed. this one is especially funny bc as SF DA her office prosecuted almost 2,000 ppl for marijuana-related offenses.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
I've been thinking of starting a "What is Kamala Harris?" thread. I don't know much about her except that she apparently has a very sketchy record with regards to some prosecutions she was involved in or presided over, and that some people whose instincts I broadly trust are very uneasy about her.

Edit: oh I see P has pretty much done just that since I refreshed this page.

Leo

omg dude you and this fucking strawman

absolutely not a straw man, these are millions of real people in different situations facing real issues who now have a better path in life. that's all I said, don't put words in my mouth.

Last edited:

IdleRich

IdleRich
He won because the Election was Rigged. NO VOTE WATCHERS OR OBSERVERS allowed, vote tabulated by a Radical Left privately owned company, Dominion, with a bad reputation & bum equipment that couldn’t even qualify for Texas (which I won by a lot!), the Fake & Silent Media, & more!
In case you can't tell from the inimitable style that's Trump admitting that Biden won the election. Although he still seems to be fighting on in the courts moaning and whining every step of the way, it does feel to me as though he's gradually inching out of the door with as bad grace as possible, and planning to sulk about it for the rest of his life. But somehow his ego is better suited to it being agonisingly pulled out of him bit by bit* than a simple "I lost I'm off" statement.

Last edited:

Leo

you have to admire the shorthand of his tweets, it must be said. thoughtful arguments, proper grammar and sentence structure all chucked out the window. pure conspiracy theory "greatest hits" strung together in an impressive manner. all that's missing is "lock her/him up".

Leo

a new GOP talking point: Trump "concluding" his term (as opposed to conceding defeat). gets around the whole loser thing.

they seriously treat him like a child.

version

In case you can't tell from the inimitable style that's Trump admitting that Biden won the election. Although he still seems to be fighting on in the courts moaning and whining every step of the way, it does feel to me as though he's gradually inching out of the door with as bad grace as possible, and planning to sulk about it for the rest of his life. But somehow his ego is better suited to it being agonisingly pulled out of him bit by bit* than a simple "I lost I'm off" statement.
He walked it back 90 minutes later.

“He only won in the eyes of the FAKE NEWS MEDIA. I concede NOTHING! We have a long way to go. This was a RIGGED ELECTION!”