luka

"A photograph appeared to show one of them sitting contemptuously with his foot on Pelosi’s desk."

Not major crimes, in the scheme of things.

IdleRich

IdleRich
I think that the crime is more about violently breaking into the parliament and chasing out people trying to do their jobs and certify the election than the disrespectful way he sat... but probably he will be one of the first to get busted so that didn't help.

Reactions: Leo

Leo

facebook announced they are blocking trump on FB and Instagram, at least until the end of his term.

sus

"A photograph appeared to show one of them sitting contemptuously with his foot on Pelosi’s desk."

Not major crimes, in the scheme of things.
I know I was cracking up listening to the news coverage. "With his foot up! On the desk! This... this sacred space... desecrated! Representative Wyler, can you even... how do you process this? Are you in shock?"

luka

They didn't even seem to really get any vandalism done. It's all very odd. And then just filed out quietly a couple of hours later? Went home for dinner.

constant escape

winter withered, warm
On a positive note, the US state was given the opportunity to turn fully fascist yesterday and it didn't. So things aren't as bad as they could be.
Yeah this is the feeling I can't shake, but I had trepidations about voicing it. I don't see how we can plausibly keep calling the government here white supremacist. If it really was, that coup would have worked, no?

Which isn't to say the framework of policies is entirely balanced across demographic lines, it just seems like structural discrimination is more social than political proper. That is where the social justice attention ought to go, seemingly.

Earlier I was gonna say "Okay. Now can we turn our attention to neoliberal capitalism?"

john eden

male pale and stale
Yeah this is the feeling I can't shake, but I had trepidations about voicing it. I don't see how we can plausibly keep calling the government here white supremacist. If it really was, that coup would have worked, no?

Which isn't to say the framework of policies is entirely balanced across demographic lines, it just seems like structural discrimination is more social than political proper. That is where the social justice attention ought to go, seemingly.

Earlier I was gonna say "Okay. Now can we turn our attention to neoliberal capitalism?"
Well I think I'd say that the white supremacism is not the dominant thing, profit still is. Or rather - the white supremacism can still be comfortably accomodated within democracy at this stage.

luka

Yeah I heard Jews were told not to go there too.
"There's a guy on twitter" is not a phrase that inspires confidence but police telling vendors and contractors to stay away when they expect trouble is nothing out of the ordinary.

sus

They didn't even seem to really get any vandalism done. It's all very odd. And then just filed out quietly a couple of hours later? Went home for dinner.
Right, because what do you do? Looting and vandalism sure isn't gonna win any sympathy. There isn't really a winning move I see.

It was always only a LARP. The physical seat of power has lost most of its symbolic power; everything is simulacra; the Congresspeople go to a different room in DC and make their decisions there, the media refuses to legitimize the uprising, and police clear out the building a few hours later. There was never a plausible endgame; it's theater.