luka

I mean, if you look at these 'faces of extremism'

for instance, they're not actually engaging in anything serious. I do think there's a reckless use of rhetoric and so on that has real world consequences, but they're not petrol bombing mosques or whatever. It all has this bizarre pantomime quality, just as last night did.

Leo

Nixon got impeached and his republican colleagues forced him to resign for knowing about the Watergate campaign office break-in an d covering it up. seems pretty quaint, in retrospect.

Leo

I mean, if you look at these 'faces of extremism'

for instance, they're not actually engaging in anything serious. I do think there's a reckless use of rhetoric and so on that has real world consequences, but they're not petrol bombing mosques or whatever. It all has this bizarre pantomime quality, just as last night did.

you're skipping over the serious part: illegally storming the house of government, a violent insurrection against leaders of a democratically elected government. just because they ended up simply walking around inside taking pictures is besides the point.

IdleRich

IdleRich
It's one of the many interesting things about the last four years isn't it. Lots of ugly rhetoric but in terms of prosecutable offences, very little at all.
That might be true in general. But I think anyone who is in those pictures has committed the offence of storming a federal building which is probably more serious than just trespassing.

IdleRich

IdleRich
you're skipping over the serious part: illegally storming the house of government, a violent insurrection against leaders of a democratically elected government. just because they ended up simply walking around inside taking pictures is besides the point.
Exactly what I was trying to get at but you said it better. That's it - just sitting in a chair is nothing, but they charged at where the parliament was sitting and actually broke in. That is a crime and a more serious one - not murder and you may not agree, but legally I think it is.

luka

If they had forced their way in with extreme violence I would consider that to be a serious crime. But they didn't. They were let in.

Leo

they illegally entered the house of government, disrupted probably the most important sacred democratic function -- the peaceful transfer of power -- and destroyed property.

luka

So what. Who cares. No one cares. It was a non event with no malicious intent. Pure theatre,

luka

You're being hysterical, like a hysterical woman. And you don't even believe it yourself.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
You can certainly cut right back on food costs. I have over the last year. Broccoli. Sweet potato. Onion. Carrot. Pepper. Tinned pulses. Kale. Rice. Pasta. Barley. Couscous. Not much else. But these kind of conversations are ridiculous and illustrate nothing.
And you told me off for making a boring argument!

IdleRich

IdleRich
It's a crime but an utterly trivial one
Depends what you mean here. Morally you could argue it's not that bad cos they didn't really have to do too much damage on the way in and so on... but legally I think it's gonna be more serious than you think. Also, I think disrupting the democratic process by penetrating the holiest of holies is something that a lot of people will be horrified by.

IdleRich

IdleRich
You're being hysterical, like a hysterical woman.
I love the circularity of that comparison. It's not really relevant to the debate but it reminds me of when my brother's friend chatted up this woman by claiming "I can go all night like a lawnmower that doesn't run out of petrol".