luka

as long as Trump held power and looked capable of winning another four years nobody would move against him.

john eden

male pale and stale
What do you mean sorry? Not following
Well I think your theory is that before 6th Jan people were already looking to distance themselves from Trump. So the events of the 6th were a good excuse to do that.

It is equally plausible that a lot of people were not looking to distance themselves from him especially, but felt they needed to after the 6th.

john eden

male pale and stale
So I get that Republicans want to hitch their horses to whoever the next likely candidates for President might be. But I don't think they needed a riot to do that.

I don't get why a golf tournament would need to make a big fuss about it like this. If their hadn't been a riot they could just quietly phase out their dealings with Trump if they wanted to.

luka

I do think the republicans needed a riot to cut ties with trump and I think there was cross party support for tarnishing the trump movement long term to try and discredit it forever. It's dangerous, it's chaotic, it's out of control.

john eden

male pale and stale
OK but if we look at the UK there are a bunch of people in the Labour Party who are distancing themselves from Corbyn right now and they didn't need a riot to do that. This happens every time there is a change of leader.

john eden

male pale and stale
That's what politics is like - you get support from colleagues whilst you are successful and then shat on when this ceases.

DannyL

Wild Horses
Obviously my theory is speculative but it is rooted in how very convenient events have proved for these people in particular
I lean more towards the cock up theory of events in part 'cos of how dangerous and chaotic these situations are - if things had played out slightly differently i.e. the mob had gotten into the chamber, a lot of lawmakers could've been taken hostage or died. A massive riot is a bit of a blunt instrument for a set up.

luka

I lean more towards the cock up theory of events in part 'cos of how dangerous and chaotic these situations are - if things had played out slightly differently i.e. the mob had gotten into the chamber, a lot of lawmakers could've been taken hostage or died. A massive riot is a bit of a blunt instrument for a set up.

My assumption is that could never of happened

DannyL

Wild Horses
There is a lot of moving away from Trump going on - people talking about cutting financial ties and support for the senators who voted with him. It's one of those moments where the change that has been building slowly is suddenly unleashed. A lot of people are suddenly on the wrong side of history. This is kind of what the I Ching is about. Watching for these points of deconstruction.

luka

There is a lot of moving away from Trump going on - people talking about cutting financial ties and support for the senators who voted with him. It's one of those moments where the change that has been building slowly is suddenly unleashed. A lot of people are suddenly on the wrong side of history. This is kind of what the I Ching is about. Watching for these points of deconstruction.
That's why I was so taken with HMG saying 'the spell has been broken'