john eden

male pale and stale
"The spell has been broken" suggests that people were captivated by Trump and bought into him wholesale.

Another scenario is that a lot of people either did not have strong feelings about him or actively disliked him but were prepared to tag along for the ride for as long as it was prudent to do so.

craner

Beast of Burden
"The spell has been broken" suggests that people were captivated by Trump and bought into him wholesale.

Another scenario is that a lot of people either did not have strong feelings about him or actively disliked him but were prepared to tag along for the ride for as long as it was prudent to do so.

This is absolutely what happened -- conservatives like Jay Nordlinger and David French have spoken about the pressure they got from other Republicans to "get on the Trump Train" or risk damaging their careers:

wild greens

I think it was Fox News calling whatever that contentious state was in favour of Biden that started the break. People had to wait for Murdoch to move before they could.

Last edited:

version

The 1st Special Forces Command is investigating a psychological operations captain for her involvement in the Jan. 6 pro- President Donald Trump rally in Washington D.C., a spokesman tells Military Times.

The command is investigating Capt. Emily Rainey’s involvement in the Wednesday rally. The 30-year-old psychological operations officer told the Associated Press she led 100 members of Moore County Citizens for Freedom who traveled to Washington to “stand against election fraud” and support Trump. The rally began peacefully near the White House but later grew deadly as pro-Trump rioters stormed the Capitol.

[...]

Rainey is assigned to the 4th Psychological Operations Group at Fort Bragg, according to Lessard. The PSYOP troops use information and misinformation to shape the emotions, decision-making and actions of American adversaries. Its Latin motto “Verbum Vincent” means “words conquer” in English.

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
OK, fine, but my point is that for as long as I've been aware of her as a journalist, she's come across as a centrist whose main concern is high-level corruption, collusion between the governments and other entities in different countries in subverting democratic norms, and the role of media and big tech in all of this. Rather than economic or social justice per se.

Perhaps you can criticise her for ignoring all the other "ordinary" corruption that's not linked to Brexit/Trump/Putin, or being insufficiently critical of the EU and its own various faults, or whatever - but I've never seen her "pretending to be the voice of the oppressed". I mean, show me an article where she does that and I'll eat my words.

Why is she concerned about that high level corruption though? These things don't come in aspic! She thought her efforts would at least contribute to remain becoming more viable amongst the public, which if it does, will only be because of fatigue. And in fact our brexit has mostly been in name anyway, as predicted. Most hard core brexiteers are gnashing their teath, of course.

IdleRich

IdleRich
So... it's all happening today in the US again, they're considering disbarring Rudy and they're about to impeach Trump.... will it be any different from last time though? Who knows.

IdleRich

IdleRich
I assume that it will go through the house anyway so he will be the first president to be impeached twice... almost wish I could see his twitter meltdown when it happens. It's really a proper fucking pile-on right now eh?

IdleRich

IdleRich
I don't really understand this... on the one hand they're saying they will begin impeachment in fifteen minutes, but on the other they're saying that the house is in recess until tomorrow... also they're saying that the call for the 25th has been blocked but that they will consider it...
Moments ago, House majority leader Steny Hoyer introduced a resolution from congressman Jamie Raskin calling on the vice-president to invoke the 25th amendment and remove Donald Trump from office.
The resolution urged Mike Pence to “declare what is obvious to a horrified Nation: That the President is unable to successfully discharge the duties and powers of his office.”
As expected, the resolution was not adopted by unanimous consent, after Republican Alex Mooney of West Virginia objected to the request.
The House now stands in recess until 9 am et tomorrow morning, when the chamber with consider Raskin’s resolution.

IdleRich

IdleRich
Whatever that word salad means, they have just introduced Articles of Impeachment, just one charge this time but a fairly bad one you would have thought.

IdleRich

IdleRich
Even golf itself has turned on Trump!
NEW: "The PGA of America Board of Directors voted tonight to exercise the right to terminate the agreement to play the 2022 PGA Championship at Trump Bedminster," PGA of America President Jim Richerson says.

IdleRich

IdleRich
Poor snowflakes can't fly.... and they are being treated like black people!

Edit: apparently the video where he complains about being treated like a black person is actually an old one from a couple of years back.

Last edited:

Leo

that's the thing, all their tough guy radical online political posturing/cosplay rarely has any consequences when they're sitting safely at home behind their computer screen. but shit gets real when you invade the nation's seat of government, and you do have to pay the consequences.

as I've said previously: fuck 'em.

Last edited: