Lockdown 2.0

IdleRich

IdleRich
the storyline about coming back from vacation and being refreshed, recharged. what happens at the tale end of the year when you never got that chance to recharge? I think there's gonna me lots of burned out people by Xmas, if not sooner.
I think the psychological fx of this are much like the economic, still slightly hidden but bubbling under, unavoidably going to be long term and serious...
Another insane rule I should have mentioned is a max of two in an uber. Three of us come out of a place together, we are one group, we have mingled already, we are sitting in the back not near the driver... makes no sense whatsoever.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
The New Normal may well involve regular lockdowns in a vain attempt to alter the climate or stave off a flu that threatens to evade recent vaccines or to get a handle on organised crime in a specific area - after all, the people have accepted that mass house arrest of the innocent is morally acceptable provided that the justification is vaguely plausible. The economic impact will be softened by lockdown insurance.
I suppose ulterior motives can't be ruled out, but I doubt even the keenest and greenest (in both senses) environmentalists seriously think a lockdown is going to have any real positive impact on climate change. And "lockdown insurance" only gets you so far - it certainly doesn't undo the general effect of economic harm. The situation this year has affected Richard Branson and Tim Martin as well as ordinary people (although it goes without saying that they've gamed the system with cheap loans of public money, etc.)

Last edited:
Reactions: sus

Leo

insurance is something to get businesses through a difficult period of time, help them get back on their feet. it's a waste of money if there's no business to go back to.

luka

The saving grace of the first period was having the outdoors as communal area, refuge, dining room, workspace, party zone etc. That's all over now. Back to the cell and lock the door.

version

They're claiming it needs to be implemented now to "save Christmas",
The development came after scientists and public health advisers said imposing new national measures could “save Christmas from the coronavirus” and allow families to meet during the festive season.

constant escape

winter withered, warm
Could be a reason to shoot for the digital stars, to dematerialize unto Valhalla.

In all seriousness, if we think about what separated the Old Normal from the New Normal, it might just have need a certain tug. Tugged by who? This is where I differ from the conspiracy oriented, who attribute humanity to the force doing the tugging, one cabal or another.

But it isn't humanity going the tugging - humanity just learns to channel the forces, interpret them, capitulate to them, imperfectly. Loss of information, or rather an imperfect and exhaustible processing of it. Because we cannot process a higher ontology than our own, we resort to understanding it in terms of our own ontology, the highest we know.

And I believe we can effectively think of such things as brands, ideologies, and trends as higher order phenomena, things that are so complex as to take our own complexity as its point of departure, the point from which it moves.

So the physical body of one such higher order phenomenon, the internet, does not need to exceed ours in complexity.

I haven't looked into the hardware architecture of the internet, with transoceanic fiber optic cables and whatever, but I doubt it comes anywhere near the human body in terms of physical complexity.

And this difference spans orders of magnitude of variation across information storage capacity, processing speeds - the space/time analog of the digital, no?

And across that difference, critical concatenations lay nascent in future limbo, awaiting to be realized, awaiting to spread. What is so shocking about pointing out the functions that float higher than us, that move faster than us, that seem unbound to such mundane constraints as locality? Need we praise them as if they were Gods, each one, or can we just diligently study them?

And how different is a praising from a diligent studying?