Going it alone

padraig (u.s.)

a monkey that will go ape
There’s an argument to be made for Henry Rollins maybe
there is not

unless you wanted to be one of those people who thinks he ruined Black Flag, making his solo career de facto better

because there's no way on earth his solo career lives up to Black Flag. it doesn't even live up to State of Alert (only one 7" but a stone cold classic).

padraig (u.s.)

Jimi Hendrix definitely - earlier career backing various people up in bands vs solo career he's famous for

granted he never quite made a great record of his own but he did indisputably revolutionize guitar music

padraig (u.s.)

this seems pretty limited to "bands" that can break-up for a before/after

Bjork is an excellent example

tho she had been in bands for like 10 years before she went solo, not just the Sugarcubes - Tappi Tikkarass, KUKL, etc

padraig (u.s.)

Neil Young had a much better and more successful solo career post-Buffalo Springfield/CSNY

that's the clearest classic rock example that comes to mind

Reactions: sus

john eden

male pale and stale
there is not

unless you wanted to be one of those people who thinks he ruined Black Flag, making his solo career de facto better

because there's no way on earth his solo career lives up to Black Flag. it doesn't even live up to State of Alert (only one 7" but a stone cold classic).

I do like Black Flag and don’t like Rollins Band mainly! But I think you need to factor in his spoken word, podcasts, etc. Rollins the personality is kind of more interesting than Rollins the Black Flag singer.

sus

Ferry and Roxy is a good example. Something like Ladytron, with Ferry and Eno working together... goddam.

padraig (u.s.)

Really? I feel like his strongest stuff is all collaborative
everything he ever did was collaborative

Tony Visconti, Carlos Alomar, Eno, etc and hordes of shorter-term people

everything all of these people do is collaborative, and/or with backup bands, or etc

we're not talking about bedroom techno producers (who probably also collaborate, with other bedroom techno producers)

john eden

male pale and stale
John you know I love you but come on his spoken word is absolutely terrible

tho I agree he's more interesting as a personality than as the 5th (albeit longest-tenured) Black Flag singer

well it’s better than Jello’s. Lol. I think he tells a good story. His opinions on stuff he knows nothing about I can take or leave though, true.

john eden

male pale and stale
everything he ever did was collaborative

Tony Visconti, Carlos Alomar, Eno, etc and hordes of shorter-term people

everything all of these people do is collaborative, and/or with backup bands, or etc

we're not talking about bedroom techno producers (who probably also collaborate, with other bedroom techno producers)

This is spot on. “The myth of The Great Man” and all that.

padraig (u.s.)

the question is about dynamic - Reed/Cale, Lennon/McCartney, etc is a dynamic of equals

vs a "solo artist" collaborating with people to ultimately realize their creative vision

padraig (u.s.)

Nile Rodgers telling the story of writing "Let's Dance" is a perfect example of the "solo artist" as collaborative effort

Bowie has the basic, core idea which he takes to a relevant expert to help him

padraig (u.s.)

also, Nile Rodgers knows how to fucking write a song

seriously the number of hits that guy has written is insane, for all kinds of people, over four decades and going strong