Drag City

woops

is not like other people
that was where indie music took a wrong turn and why rnb and electronic music took over my mind

catalog

Stereolab started out as an ultra noise guy and had stuff on broken flag, the ramleh label I think

woops

is not like other people
if you like. untethered from songwriting which seemed like it was going somewhere different and more interesting(/electronic) with a lot of the late 90's stuff. but it all turned into twenty minute jam tracks and yawn fests. i've tried to explain in my much overlooked melancholia thread

catalog

Yeah instead of crossing over and doing e's, like the stone roses, they battened down the hatches, lit even more candles and went all smacky

catalog

The broken flag oral history in ALAP is as excellent as everyone says it is. Particularly illuminating what the various players say on the nazi issues

padraig (u.s.)

a monkey that will go ape
@padraig (u.s.) might be able to clarify on the contract thing
nah idk anything about it really

what I really know Touch + Go for is being, along with SST + Dischord, the foundational holy trinity of American diy hardcore labels

including releasing probably - seriously, no hyperbole - the greatest hardcore record ever made, the Negative Approach EP

padraig (u.s.)

tbh being from Chicago and having lived here on and off my whole adult life, I've never cared about Drag City. I didn't even know it was based here.

nothing against just yunno, not an orbit that I'm in or care about, very official independent rock scene

padraig (u.s.)

skimming over their roster it's a pretty even mix of oh cool/never heard of it and/or don't care/gross, which isn't a bad ratio

and I wouldn't belittle the achievement of clearly being one of the staples of American rock-related independent music for the last 30 years

but it's hard to think of it as a "Chicago" label in the same way you would Trax, Dance Mania, Wax Trax, Lengua Armada, etc

more like a big indie label that happens to be based in Chicago

padraig (u.s.)

musically in my head it's associated with Smog/Bonnie Prince Billy/Silver Jews, an axis I have zero interest in

as a label I probably associate it with other big indie indies like Matador and Thrill Jockey

Siltbreeze is more like guitar people doing noise (not noise rock), Kranky is guitar people doing ambient (shoegaze, postrock, etc)

Kranky actually is another label I didn't know was based here, and similarly not really a "Chicago" label

kumar

royal trux are great and i used to love them but they should have been the last band. their whole setup felt like a tacky seance of Rock n Roll itself that got out of hand. trying to invite in and exorcise all the demonic forces invited into the world when mick jagger turned 40. jennifer herrema even sang exactly like the girl from the exorcist. it would have been the appropriate thing to end bands after them. obviously gettting on smack as first hand research is quite cheesy but they recognised the importance of cheese in their mission. obviously thats not a viable approach for young musicians now so they have to do things like get anne frank tattooed on their face if they want to commit to the heros journey.