IdleRich

IdleRich
no, the dichotomy to real capital is fictitious capital, I.E: that existing in the housing market, stocks and securities. "accumulated claims, legal titles, to future production, not investment in physical production as it is currently extant, (tools and workers) aka. real capital.
It can still be seen as a replacement for it without being the precise analogue.

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
It can still be seen as a replacement for it without being the precise analogue.

No because cultural capital is not a concept that can be sustainably grounded in production without it either being real, fictitious (or liquid, circulating money-capital)

It's a sociological concept that is applied incorrectly, all capital is social and hence determines culture implicitly or explicitly.

IdleRich

IdleRich
Some people use their success in cultural fields to make up for failures in others and whatever unrelated bullshit you dribble out doesn't make it not so.

padraig (u.s.)

a monkey that will go ape
he's not saying - correct me if I'm wrong here, third - that cultural capital doesn't exist, or that it doesn't influence wealth, just that you can't misapply a sociological concept in economic terms. cultural capital has no existence outside its social context.

in a similar sense to how Rothbard and others (nb: see how much neoliberal background reading I've been forced to do to satisfy @craner) have challenged Mises' concept of "consumer sovereignty" as misapplication of a political concept in economic terms.

constant escape

winter withered, warm
In this particular circle though, this kind of NY cultural hub with tendrils across and perhaps beyond the country, I do think that Zizek is embraced as an ideologue, one that perhaps registers largely because of charisma. I haven't read any of his books, nor do I plan on it, but often just thinking about him makes me smile.

And I get the sense that this veneration is common in the circles that some of these people traffic through. Whether or not his ideas resonate as much as his attitude, I'm not certain. I'm more certain that many of his fans don't care about Hegel, though. (edit: or are at least content in feigning an interest)

And if we are to give perhaps too much credit, my idea of his generic intellectual fan (along the NY lines) seems to involve a reckoning with the resonances caused by social and cultural progress, perhaps measured in terms of representation in popular media content.

That is, a certain grappling of a bourgeois left with the role they play in social, socio-political oppression. What I;m talking about seems to have less to do with economic oppression, and is more contained within the social and cultural dimensions of the economically privileged. In this sphere, opinion is largely if not primary determined by such and such popular media information sources.

Like how Chadwick Boseman was more or less slated to become the central figure in the far-and-away most lucrative film franchise of all time, before he passed.

constant escape

winter withered, warm
In the sense of how he is being received, I may actually serve as a generic model for at least certain parts of this culture.

I;ve seen hours and hours of his talks on youtube, but my reading of him is limited to an article and a transcript of a panel his did with Alain Badiou. (edit: which is to say, negligible)

constant escape

winter withered, warm
I do think that a refusal to read can enable certain would-be academics to relate beyond class lines they may not otherwise detect. Not to be too reductive, but so many of these texts are total rabbit holes - not without good reason, but nonetheless rabbit holes.

The only possible synthesis that comes to mind is an exponential increase in the ability to rapidly absorb information and make detailed and sufficient inferences beyond the material. The kind of intellectual progress that took years and decades before the internet, arguably, now must be achievable in fractions of that time.

Leo

I'm always impressed by his penchant for writing 2,000+ words on a topic he knows little about, and his willingness to proactively admit he hasn't looked into the subject much.

constant escape

winter withered, warm
Hence all the conceptually heavy claims I'm used to making, not being predicated on actually having intimately engaged with the text.

Reactions: Leo

luka

If you happen to listen to a YouTube lecture or two on top of that, then all the better. If I was your dad I would try try to get you to read literature, because I think reading which is not reducible to information is important in shaping sensibility, but as I'm not your dad you wouldn't listen to me, so I won't.

constant escape

winter withered, warm
Yeah the poesy department is in hard times. Lit will get back in line. Its science's turn running the train, which is to be interpreted however you like.

luka

I still create reality. It starts with me. The scientists just interpret it. And draw graphs.

constant escape

winter withered, warm
A tad reductive but not entirely off base. You feel reality more because you let it impact you more directly, whereas it gets filtered through these artificial mechanical and conceptual apparatuses in the name of science. Raw vs processed, in a way, no?