WashYourHands

Cat Malogen
@All

No-one’s saying “don’t“, the motives for so much of this subject remain spurious though and it leaves open a gapingly gossipy tendency where there’s no recourse for a response

Gossip is as lame as it gets

woops

is not like other people
the real answer is that you're 10-15 years too young. shoreditch around the turn of the millennium had reached the trendy/arty/cynical/ironic stage of the gentrification monopoly board. it quickly became a total parody of itself and the real hipsters were very soon far too hip for shoreditch. this tendency could be observed in the early days of dissensus btw. i used to love it and was out there every night

IdleRich

IdleRich
Shoreditch is an area of East London near Old St tube that was supposed to be the centre of cool artists and whatever from late 90s for the next ten years or so.
The narrative goes that despite being central it was cheap and empty with loads of warehouses and lofts etc a load of artists moved there and used to drink at a pub called Bricklayers Arms and then other places opened to cater for artists and then hipsters went there - enjoying the frisson of mixing with artists on the one hand and salt of the earth working class cockneys on the other, not to mention petty criminals and gangsters who had all worked for the Krays back in the day (they were from there and had huge traditional funerals when they died attended by minor edgy celebrities and locals who all swore that the Krays had loved their mum) and more and more places opened and then average Londoners went there and more mainstream places opened and eventually it was made entirely of clubs, bars, restaurants etc and you had busloads of lads and lasses piling into them from Essex and elsewhere.
Interestingly the first time I went to Russia I DJ-d in a super cool (or at least super expensive and glam) bar in Moscow which was underneath a designer clothes shop. The bar was named Oldditch as a kind of portmanteau of Old Street and Shoreditch and I remember being driven round by one of the promoters who would point out trendily/stupidly dressed Russians and ask me if they had managed to correctly pull off the style of a London hipster.

IdleRich

IdleRich
Much pimp success, that’s a vision
That was just the start of it. When we were on the plane taking off and my window was by the wing I started laughing as the things moved and someone said "the captain is opening the flaps" - my girlfriend asked why I was laughing and I explained the double meaning that had childishly amused me, but she is a quick learner, when I was dj-ing and this girl at the front was making herself very obvious, V turned to me and said "Now that girl is opening the flaps".

Leo

Shoreditch is an area of East London near Old St tube that was supposed to be the centre of cool artists and whatever from late 90s for the next ten years or so.
The narrative goes that despite being central it was cheap and empty with loads of warehouses and lofts etc a load of artists moved there and used to drink at a pub called Bricklayers Arms and then other places opened to cater for artists and then hipsters went there - enjoying the frisson of mixing with artists on the one hand and salt of the earth working class cockneys on the other, not to mention petty criminals and gangsters who had all worked for the Krays back in the day (they were from there and had huge traditional funerals when they died attended by minor edgy celebrities and locals who all swore that the Krays had loved their mum) and more and more places opened and then average Londoners went there and more mainstream places opened and eventually it was made entirely of clubs, bars, restaurants etc and you had busloads of lads and lasses piling into them from Essex and elsewhere.
Interestingly the first time I went to Russia I DJ-d in a super cool (or at least super expensive and glam) bar in Moscow which was underneath a designer clothes shop. The bar was named Oldditch as a kind of portmanteau of Old Street and Shoreditch and I remember being driven round by one of the promoters who would point out trendily/stupidly dressed Russians and ask me if they had managed to correctly pull off the style of a London hipster.

this describes Williamsburg, about a decade earlier, and the east village about 25 years earlier.

I remember going to white cube, eating lunch in hoxton square, having an afternoon drink at Lux. not sure when, late 90s I think. signs of twattiness for sure but still not bad.

IdleRich

IdleRich
Yeah it was always Williamsburg and Shoreditch that were compared. And fair enough I did go to Williamsburg around that time and I could see the links. I mean I was trying to avoid doing the same exact stuff that I do in London while I was in NY so I didn't delve too deeply but you know, the clothes that people were wearing and the shops and so on seemed very similar.
I actually kinda preferred going to Moscow where it was less like that cos that homogeneity of dress meant that if you were in Berlin, NY, London etc it was all kinda the same.

Leo

Portland and Austin as well. not exactly the same as Williamsburg/Shoreditch/Berlin, but same general evolution.