shakahislop

@shakahislop is a local, he knows

This is all about localism Wektor sorry scene can't be expected to make itself legible to Poles
i have no idea who any of these people are. the 'dimes square' thing is interesting in that it's not even a neighborhood, its a tiny collection of shops and things, which is pretty indistinct, and i had no idea that there was even such a geography as 'dimes square' until i read this thread. it's certainly not a generally recognised neighborhood. it is a cool area though, i live about ten minutes away and would have lived closer if i could have found a flat down there. i looked at one but it was a total mess. the main cool thing about it is that its close to chinatown and some overspill from that, which is a tiny corner, maybe the only tiny corner, of downtown manhattan that isn't uber-fancy yet.

shakahislop

so like a still cozy leftover of a gentrified neighbourhood?
it's like a micro-bit of a properly gentrified neighborhood (the lower east side). its right on the edge of it. although the LES gentrification is interesting, because there are some things that mean that it's not been as comprehensive as normal - namely that there are still a load of social housing towers in the area, and that chinatown has managed to resist much of an influx of non-chinese or vietnamese people. so it doesn't feel like eg bits of brooklyn, which gentrified much later, but where there hasn't been much in the way of countervailing forces. the dimes square bit is right next to chinatown. there's then this rump end of lower manhattan which dimes square also borders (two bridges) which has a load of social housing and from which its pretty hard to get anywhere because there's not much subway access. but dimes square itself is tiny, in itself i'd classify as pretty gentrified, but if you go a few blocks south or west you're in fairly non-gentrified territory. that's my take on it anyway. i would bet that not a single person i know would have heard the term 'dimes square' though.

IdleRich

IdleRich
so like a still cozy leftover of a gentrified neighbourhood?
That's exactly it... people move from there village in nowheresville to escape by moving to the beating pulsing heart of the world... and then when they get there they moan like fuck about how it's all like a big city and desperately search for the bit that is least like that and most like the homely little village they left.

shakahislop

That's exactly it... people move from there village in nowheresville to escape by moving to the beating pulsing heart of the world... and then when they get there they moan like fuck about how it's all like a big city and desperately search for the bit that is least like that and most like the homely little village they left.
greenpoint is exactly like that. loads of europeans go there as well, because its one bit of nyc which feels a bit more like a european city, partly because it is / was full of polish people, partly because it's a tucked away little corner that people don't pass through on the way to anywhere else, so it's quiet, there's loads of trees, it's pretty orderly

Reactions: sus

luka

a lot of people just standing on the street which is nice. it's actually illegal to do in this country unless you are mentally ill or a street drinking alcoholic which is why English cities feel so lifeless.

IdleRich

IdleRich
greenpoint is exactly like that. loads of europeans go there as well, because its one bit of nyc which feels a bit more like a european city, partly because it is / was full of polish people, partly because it's a tucked away little corner that people don't pass through on the way to anywhere else, so it's quiet, there's loads of trees, it's pretty orderly
Really? I was was being somewhat facetious but there is some tiny grain of truth in the way that so many have that perversity that makes them go to a place and then kick back against the things that make it what it is. Although somehow I doubt Dime Square is really like a little village in the flyover states.

woops

is not like other people
i assumed this was a word only the overeducated have access too but i looked it up and it says its a speling mistake. quite disappointing.
you're either an overeducated or a disappointment this game sucks

if you look on the JH Prynne face book group @luka uses a very different persona there and addresses the oxbridge people on there in tones of reverence and envy