WashYourHands

Cat Malogen
What will you find?

You could hack your way into something and come round surrounded by greys, asking you how far out that last trip just was.

Woebot

@Matthew

Any thoughts on Docosahexanoic Acid (some kind of fatty acid? Not sure about the taxonomy there) and/or hesperidin?

Just started taking daily pills, 1000 mg and 500 mg respectively, after watching this:

He mentioned that exercise seems to prompt a heightened neurogenesis, but that these new neurons were relatively short-lived, and that hesperidin played a role in extending the lifespan of these new neurons. Not sure, in any more precise way, how it all works.

Understanding-wise, right now I;m at the point where I can begin to understand how (edit: certain, if not all) physiological mechanics can be reduced down to whether or not certain cells have certain receptors lodged through their membranes, and whether or not those receptors are activated by the molecules they are supposed to receive - that is, whether or not those target molecules, or perhaps even macromolecular structures/complexes as far as I know, are frequent enough in such-and-such intercellular spaces to bind to their appropriate receptors with the sufficient regularity. Thats where I am.
gotta say - personally i prefer food over pills. and it's not especially anti-science of me to say that either given the cofactors in actual food.

eating fish - especially the cheaper oily ones like mackerel and anchovy which are less scarce - is the right ticket

catalog

Very interesting theory and not one i've heard before, that the brain evolved in the sea. Sandor Ferenczi would agree with it I'm sure. Terence Mckenna probably wouldn't.

constant escape

winter withered, warm
gotta say - personally i prefer food over pills. and it's not especially anti-science of me to say that either given the cofactors in actual food.

eating fish - especially the cheaper oily ones like mackerel and anchovy which are less scarce - is the right ticket
Sardines work?

Woebot

Very interesting theory and not one i've heard before, that the brain evolved in the sea. Sandor Ferenczi would agree with it I'm sure. Terence Mckenna probably wouldn't.
read mckenna's "food of the gods" recently - very curious to see how that would stand up to proper scholarship/history - gotta be honest it seemed like one man's fantasy - very thin.

catalog

i think if you buy the idea that the brain evolved on the plains, then it's not such a stretch to think that some kind of psychedelic intervention may have had an influence. Certainly with something like the Hindu pantheon of Gods, I always feel it's pretty likely there was some kind of drug influence at a top level? Maybe not, but it's a good story anyway.

But this idea that the brain evolved in the sea is just as interesting a story and the two things are not necessarily mutually exclusive. It's very compelling this water brain theory actually, for all sorts of reasons. Seasteading comes to mind, also whaling. Whale blubber contains alot of DHA right? And then also the connection with an oceanic subconscious. From there to Drexciya. The ocean as an imaginative frontier that we sort of forgot about once we got Space.

oh yeah im sure. salmon i think too. and like @146 I.Q. Magical thinker mentions - fish oil tablets probably cool if you can live with the aquarium burps.

and less red meat. no processed meat. otherwise what's the point in all the goodness i guess?

Respectfully disagree. Red meat is one of, if not THE healthiest food, apart from maybe black cod. It's all goodness. You will thrive by eating it and absolutely nothing else, which I would do if I lived alone, but I have a pair of normies to cook for too. The only reason I wouldn't eat red meat would be if I developed Alpha-gal syndrome after being bitten by a lone star tick.

Catalog - yes, we left the ocean of Earth and found the keys to the ocean of the cosmos. Ain't no dolphins with telescopes.

luka

read mckenna's "food of the gods" recently - very curious to see how that would stand up to proper scholarship/history - gotta be honest it seemed like one man's fantasy - very thin.
It's a brilliant idea and makes a lot of intuitive sense. I set no store by scholarship whatsoever though. I think it's nonsense. Making stuff up is how reality is created.

catalog

Wandering off topic a bit here, but...

Catalog - yes, we left the ocean of Earth and found the keys to the ocean of the cosmos. Ain't no dolphins with telescopes.
but we're tethered still cos we need our brain food. and we struggle with that stretch. It's another version of 'as above so below' isn't it? Our roots are in water, but we're now on land, aspiring to air, through fire. ether is the spirit moving through the elements. i screenshotted some of the brain cell pictures from the crawford lectures yesterday, just thought they looked pretty good.

this one, immediately it's the blue. and also very planetary, spider web, mycelium like. and also like a stain, or bird shit. got that random element.

IZLsKFL.png

this one I've not seen before, a cross-section i suppose - the way the light emerges and then goes along it's pathways, some previously forged, presumably, some entirely new. I don't know if that's correct, I'm just going off what's there visually really. looks more cloud/sky/lightning than the other.

rowyoUR.png

but basically wanted to say the brain visually looks like water and air at the same time.

Woebot

It's a brilliant idea and makes a lot of intuitive sense. I set no store by scholarship whatsoever though. I think it's nonsense. Making stuff up is how reality is created.

no question - it's a beautiful thought.

there must be a component of the use of drugs involved in the growth of consciousness but (to zero in precisely on "food of the gods") to peg the whole thing on the entirely unsubstantiated idea that our ancestors ate the mushrooms that grew on cowpats (and to tie it all in with the cult of the cow and "the great mother") - back it up with what looks to be extremely weak ancient history - pun intended - it's bull$#it

the argument that metaphysics and consciousness are inseparable from psychedelics - seems like it's made by people who (a) don't have any imagination (b) have not a whiff of psychosis in their make up. mckenna, and grof too, there's something a little doltish about them - as if they'd struggle to get "it" without psychedelics. leads to the whole fatuous idea that plato was tripping when he came up with the idea of "forms" - doh!

Last edited by a moderator:

WashYourHands

Cat Malogen
It makes no sense to see the stoned ape as anything other than an acid fantasy.

Humans were scavenger animals forced into the savanna from arboreal living. The diet shifted slowly over tens of thousands of years from heavy vegetation to more protein, which in turn super charged the frontal cortex. Add coastal living and ready supplies of fish.

All that abdominal work breaking down plant matter got converted into higher brain function. The idea that hallucinogens adapted dna is absurd. It’s dietary variance and those outcomes being selectively rewarded. That’s why I love Jaffa Cakes.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
@WashYourHands - I don't think anyone but the daftest of hippies seriously suggests that psilocybin can reconfigure DNA. As I understand it, Stoned Ape posits that some, but not all, of our hominid ancestors had a genetic predisposition to somehow benefiting from the effects of psychoactive plants and fungi. I mean benefiting in the sense of it conferring some concrete advantage to survival or reproduction. Then this predisposition would have been positively selected for.

Whatever this advantage was, it must have been pretty substantial to outweigh the fact that a proto-person stumbling around prehistoric Africa in an ecstatic trance would have been easy meat for a leopard or crocodile. You can say that that's rather a tall tale, but it's somewhat less silly than mushrooms directly genetically engineering humans.