Dissensus Gothic

luka

Well I grew up in newham I've met more Pakistanis than whites. I dont believe in northern friendliness cos everyone I met from the north have been refugees fleeing the violence and conformity so I have a phobia but no need to go over that ground again

luka

The stories I heard from the refugees are very traumatic, I have nightmares about the north

luka

They chase you down and kick you to death if you have long hair. I know peop,e that have spent hours crouched in a bush or curled up under cars just for looking 'weird'

catalog

well there is a thing about certain people who leave as soon as they are able, who hate where they are from because the small mindedness is dangerous. and yes related to fashion and how you look basically. you can get a lot of funny looks, overt racism all that stuff, which is perhaps less prevalent in cosmopolitan london

luka

With you it's ok to live in the north. It suits you. But version moans all the time. He must leave.

Simon silverdollarcircle

When I was a lad in the north me and mates used to get spat on in the street and stuff on a fairly regular basis. For things like looking "weird". But for context, we were wearing things like jumpers from Gap, which was considered "weird".

Simon silverdollarcircle

Nowadays all the hard lads have skinny jeans and grooming regimes and hair like jedward tho so it's probably a bit different.

Back in my day if you werent in a helly hansen trackie you better be good at running

catalog

I've never had any trouble of a serious nature...

Was once on a train from meadowhall, when I was 15, going through Barnsley, loaded up with shopping, and some skinheads got on, really pissed up, and the first thing they said, really loud, to me and my friend, was "no p*kis on here" but nothing actually happened, except police got called by the conductor, cos one of them spewed on the train, and they got took off at Barnsley.

More recently in Manchester I was hanging around with a bunch of kids who put gigs on and lived in an art squat and they were trans, couple of them wearing lots of make up, and certain parts of Manchester, like even the northern quarter, there were some looks, snidey comments as you walk past.

But no overt violence that I saw anyway.

I tend to keep my head down out and about, always have done. And my hair wasn't really long til I was in my 20s.

catalog

I remember when I lived in Hackney though, it felt a lot rougher than where I'm from, like I was in that Turkish supermarket on well street and 2 kids ran in, chasing one another, one of them bleeding over the floor, shouting "told you not to come into bannister".

And another time when we lived in Harlesden, we were drunk and just being a bit raucous and my wife saw these boys hitting a girl so she stepped in and they properly shoved her, so then I squared up and they just lamped me really hard and I knew it was a real situation. And the girl was then on their side and was angry at my wife for stepping in. It sort of ended amicably enough, they just said very clearly for us to not get involved and move on so we did.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
I remember when I lived in Hackney though, it felt a lot rougher than where I'm from, like I was in that Turkish supermarket on well street and 2 kids ran in, chasing one another, one of them bleeding over the floor, shouting "told you not to come into bannister".

And another time when we lived in Harlesden, we were drunk and just being a bit raucous and my wife saw these boys hitting a girl so she stepped in and they properly shoved her, so then I squared up and they just lamped me really hard and I knew it was a real situation. And the girl was then on their side and was angry at my wife for stepping in. It sort of ended amicably enough, they just said very clearly for us to not get involved and move on so we did.
Weird how often that happens. Like, OK, I'll just leave you to get beaten up then?