Decline

luka

For the picture and the hysteria. Not for the article which I haven't read and won't read

We are in the West fast approaching the precipice of a civilizational collapse. Exactly how far out we are from this precipice is a matter to debate. But, our speed and direction of travel are very clear.

version

I think Gibson's right about the apocalypse happening very slowly. You just spend every day terrified it's going to happen any moment as it gradually happens around you. I'd add it's partly a self-fulfilling prophecy. Your behaviour changes when you accept a premise like The End. Maybe it's hyperstition.

constant escape

winter withered, warm
Fallout 3 succeeded in getting me to desire the apocalypse. A scrambling and footing-reattaining of bureaucracy, a makeshift and ad hoc economy (bottlecaps in Fallout), technology and its fruit becoming a prelapsarian wonder, etc.

edit; All incredibly romantic to me, if even naively.

luka

I played a fallout and enjoyed it but also I think it gave me depression. A combination of the scenery the dim light darkness and the music

version

Fallout 3's shit. I didn't like Oblivion either. I played like an hour or so of each and couldn't understand what anyone saw in either. They're so drab and clunky.

constant escape

winter withered, warm
Them's some awfully contentious words.

There are certainly issues with it, like how the mission compass just points you to where you're supposed to go. But man I love the vibes from that game.

luka

I get like that too. The other day there was a couple standing on the pavement outside the vet with their stupid dog blocking up up the whole fuckung pavement so I just pushed him into the gutter instead of apologetically walking round them or saying excuse me. Those days where you get shocked by this latent reservoir of massive aggression