Emasculation of the Western Man

shakahislop

the thing i keep going on about in these threads is i think that i keep getting caught out thinking that the contours of the (in the very broad sense of the term) media world are the same as they were 15 years ago, where it was obvious that you had this combination of TV, adverts, music, films, newspapers and to a lesser extent books and magazines that drove how people thought and acted. but its not like that now, its a totally different assemblage, and you have to think about those forms as existing in a totally different structure. the other thing it makes me realize is how contingent and temporary that 70s-00s structure was, despite (like everything you grow up in) it feeling totally natural and unchangable

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
I only became aware of him this week after Greta Thunberg's twitter team blasted him for 'small dick energy" *

View attachment 13863

and now the first thing I see when I turned on the TV is he has been raided by the Romanian police ( again ) for human trafficking and r*pe charges ( tellingly Sky News had to waste a couple of sentences explaining who he is, I get the impression only incels are really familiar with this guy )

* amazingly The Metro almost calls Greta's twitter team out for "body shaming"
It's a stupid insult - progressives don't describe women as having 'fat bitch energy', do they - but this guy is clearly a total chode and deserves everything he gets.

Reactions: sus

shakahislop

It's a stupid insult - progressives don't describe women as having 'fat bitch energy', do they - but this guy is clearly a total chode and deserves everything he gets.
the 'progressive' double standard when it comes to some aspects of how they talk about men and women is so obvious and pretty annoying. actually this is one of the things that psycho lads like andrew tate exploit, this kind of inconsistancy.

its only a matter of time though i think, before these kinds of restrictions on permissible language start to be applicable when you're talking about less marginal demographics as well, it will catch up. we're en masse reverting back to restrictions on what's ok anyway, after a kind of free for all in the 00s and 10s that i think in the end ended up being a load of transgressions that disgusted eveyrone

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
Am important exception to this general rule is the Donald Trump tiny-hands thing, for the following reasons.

1. He's exceptionally horrible even as horrible people go.
2. He's an egregious misogynist who loves to attack women over their appearance.
3. He's obsessed with his idea of his own masculinity.
4. He's obviously really insecure about it.
5. It's really funny.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
we're en masse reverting back to restrictions on what's ok anyway, after a kind of free for all in the 00s and 10s that i think in the end ended up being a load of transgressions that disgusted eveyrone
Yeah, I could be wrong here as I don't watch tons of current TV, but I get the impression there's far less of the sort of stuff Chris Morris was making 20-odd years ago, with all those totally deadpan jokes about suicide, rape, Islamist terrorism and the rest. But perhaps he and his collaborators did that all so thoroughly and so well that it rendered future attempts at transgressive comdey a bit redundant.

shakahislop

Yeah, I could be wrong here as I don't watch tons of current TV, but I get the impression there's far less of the sort of stuff Chris Morris was making 20-odd years ago, with all those totally deadpan jokes about suicide, rape, Islamist terrorism and the rest. But perhaps he and his collaborators did that all so thoroughly and so well that it rendered future attempts at transgressive comdey a bit redundant.
No that sort of thing is over I think. It think this much kinder era where there is a fairly broad consensus that a fair amount of things are off the table for jokes. It's much less funny I find. I find it myself, if I try to make a joke in everyday life that crosses some of the lines it feels bad in my mouth, the barriers are partly internal. It's partly getting older and wiser but its obviously the internet teaching machine as well.

Leo

Depends on the audience, though. Progressives are offended when someone is referred to as homeless. Yet Trump continues to label opponents losers, failing, disgusting, corrupt, unattractive, weak, lying, etc., and lots of people love it. Maybe those are different types of insults than "small-dick energy", but not that different. Speaking in code.

sus

Both these things are right I think. What I'd add is that when you blast someone in a tweet seen by millions, it isn't Andrew Tate that's hurt by the body shaming. It's everyone at home getting reminded there is something about their body worth being ashamed of. And something maybe they hoped was private that leaks out into their energy and can be seen/noticed/make them a subject of attack. Women have had this stuff forever so I'm not especially up in arms, but I don't think a genuinely sensitive society would take GT's tone with ra ra spirit.

sus

the thing i keep going on about in these threads is i think that i keep getting caught out thinking that the contours of the (in the very broad sense of the term) media world are the same as they were 15 years ago, where it was obvious that you had this combination of TV, adverts, music, films, newspapers and to a lesser extent books and magazines that drove how people thought and acted. but its not like that now, its a totally different assemblage, and you have to think about those forms as existing in a totally different structure. the other thing it makes me realize is how contingent and temporary that 70s-00s structure was, despite (like everything you grow up in) it feeling totally natural and unchangable
I've heard it argued that the late 20th C in the West is a pretty exceptionally weird time world-historically and lots of what has gotten folks upset the last decade is mostly reversion to mean. Probably not quite true, or so simple, but probably at least a kernel there.

version

i've never heard him speak or seen anything except photos and commentary on him but he is presumably a massive prick.

He's really bizarre to watch speak, like some humourless geek who got dropped into a muscle man body, and yeah, he is a massive prick.

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
In my friendship group, at least, there's still a fair number of jokes about small dicks, and I sometimes wonder if anybody in that group actually has a small dick and is inwardly stung by it. I hope not.

tu4Ev0L.jpeg

@linebaugh where did you find this? I can't tell if it's satirical or not. I also find it incredibly funny, which concerns me, and makes me wonder if getting a thrill from cruelty is a particularly masculine thing or not. (FWIW I think I'd be classed among the 'Incels' here.)