Emasculation of the Western Man

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
I've never been a masculine man, other perhaps than in the farting and stinking department. Physically I think I could have been somewhat good at sport, but I've either got absolutely no competitiveness in me or I am too conflict adverse (and terrified of violence) to compete because I've unconsciously always pursued a tactic of being a loveable loser. Although I'm very self-involved and pretty antisocial I am very empathetic (find it hard to watch embarrassing situations on TV, even when they're completely fictional) — not a stereotypically masculine trait.

Some of my friends are comparatively very masculine (competitive, impulsive, were good at sport etc.) but they're also intelligent and funny and kind. There's a type of masculine man – a macho man I guess – that I find intolerably boring, if not frightening.

version

the 'progressive' double standard when it comes to some aspects of how they talk about men and women is so obvious and pretty annoying. actually this is one of the things that psycho lads like andrew tate exploit, this kind of inconsistancy.

its only a matter of time though i think, before these kinds of restrictions on permissible language start to be applicable when you're talking about less marginal demographics as well, it will catch up. we're en masse reverting back to restrictions on what's ok anyway, after a kind of free for all in the 00s and 10s that i think in the end ended up being a load of transgressions that disgusted eveyrone

The gloves sometimes come off when a woman or minority says something conservative, mind you. The things you aren't supposed to say may start flying while other progressives try to remind them they shouldn't be saying them, e.g. sexism, comments about people's appearance.

shakahislop

The gloves sometimes come off when a woman or minority says something conservative, mind you. The things you aren't supposed to say may start flying while other progressives try to remind them they shouldn't be saying them.

one thing i have noticed is that when i say things like 'progressives' here, i'm not talking about anyone in particular. it's more that the way i'm exposed to and interact with these attitudes is this very fractured thing, it's a tweet here by one person, an op-ed by someone else in the guardian, a comment at the pub by a friend, some implicit thing that's going on when i watch bbc news, a graff mural in bushwick, a megan thee stallion tune etc. not that surprising that when you compress all these people into a single category of 'progressives' that there are a load of hypocracies and internal contradictions.

obviously a load of people say totally contradictory things alone though

Last edited:
Reactions: sus

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
  • Wow
Reactions: sus

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
The gloves sometimes come off when a woman or minority says something conservative, mind you. The things you aren't supposed to say may start flying while other progressives try to remind them they shouldn't be saying them, e.g. sexism, comments about people's appearance.
Case in point: most right-wing UK government in living memory with the most racially diverse cabinet in history.

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
Is there a way that someone can be woke beyond reproach? Presumably not. I've been occasionally looking in on Graham Linehan's foamy-mouthed return to Twitter this week and it shows that (even if he and his 'TERF' brethren are a minority within left/liberal circles) being pro one minority's rights can sometimes be (or be seen as) implicitly anti another minority's rights. And also that minorities/oppressed groups have their own hierarchies of oppression – easy example being white women being seen by women of colour as part of the larger white oppressor class.

WashYourHands

Cat Malogen
Both these things are right I think. What I'd add is that when you blast someone in a tweet seen by millions, it isn't Andrew Tate that's hurt by the body shaming. It's everyone at home getting reminded there is something about their body worth being ashamed of. And something maybe they hoped was private that leaks out into their energy and can be seen/noticed/make them a subject of attack. Women have had this stuff forever but I don't think a genuinely sensitive society would take GT's tone with ra ra spirit.

well, we have you and your own district line of hypocritical bs

also from your tumblr link corrected for gratuitous Americanisms

not to sound extreme in my condemnation of certain "left" tendencies or anything, but like a culture of security at all costs plus romanticization of a noble, pre-industrial past in which you are embedded in "tradition" and anti-rationalist organicism is basically about as straightforward of fascist value capture as it gets

shakahislop

I've heard it argued that the late 20th C in the West is a pretty exceptionally weird time world-historically and lots of what has gotten folks upset the last decade is mostly reversion to mean. Probably not quite true, or so simple, but probably at least a kernel there.
my take on this is that more or less any time is a weird time world-historically. or at least any time since the industrial revolution or whatever, maybe 1300 and 1400 were similar to each other or something, i don't know

i guess it depends on exactly what you're talking about

sus

And tbf when I have talked about gayification (to give one example) that has no pejorative tone. If you think I mean it's a BAD thing to be gay, that's on you buddy. I am just stating known facts about the effects of marijuana overconsumption which are well known by many heavy marijuana users. One of my best friends in college got gayified by weed. Now he's living an idyllic domestic life with his gay partner. I'm happy for him! But we know what tootin on the ol bong too regularly did to him. Made him wanna sucka deez nutz. Is that what happened to you Wash?? Do you wanna sucka deez nutz??

sus

Finally, I will note that I have long been the lone progressive voice on this board in my sensitivity to nonce identitarian issues. My defense and support of non-practicing ('volcel') nonces has been staunch and courageous, in the face of repeated defamatory and insensitive attacks. History, when it smiles or frowns upon the Dissensus archive, will judge us.

WashYourHands

Cat Malogen
And tbf when I have talked about gayification (to give one example) that has no pejorative tone. If you think I mean it's a BAD thing to be gay, that's on you buddy. I am just stating known facts about the effects of marijuana overconsumption which are well known by many heavy marijuana users. One of my best friends in college got gayified by weed. Now he's living an idyllic domestic life with his gay partner. I'm happy for him! But we know what tootin on the ol bong too regularly did to him. Made him wanna sucka deez nutz. Is that what happened to you Wash?? Do you wanna sucka deez nutz??

Get your own weed, you cheap cunt

shakahislop

this came on my insta after watching some amelie lens reels. i don't think this is a joke account. it gets better every time i watch it, its the little details