Emasculation of the Western Man

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
I saw an argument with someone claiming that this generation of men is more feminine than the last and someone disagreed, producing countless similar quotes going back more than a century - the first guy replied to say "Well there you have it, clear evidence that men are becoming more and more unmanly - and it's been happening for ages".
Yesterday we all went for a walk up to the top of a tor, and, it being February, it was fucking freezing, as you can imagine. The sort of experience that people euphemize as 'exhilarating' or 'bracing', to pretend to themselves that it isn't merely unpleasant. Anyway, Anna and I were ready to go after about half an hour, but Rowan was loving it, just running around over this exposed, rocky hilltop in the blasting wind, having a great time. He was actually a bit grumpy when we finally decided to head back to the car after an hour or so.

Anyway, he's a total micro-chad at age three, so here's some evidence that each generation of men is not, in fact, getting more effete than the last.

entertainment

I find the larger points and general style of something like this objectionable but do recognize and feel some amount of distaste for the tendencies described:

Thomas Edsall makes a similar case in the New York Times, emphasizing how female approaches to conflict and competition have become normative among the professional class. Edsall quotes evolutionary biologist Joyce Benenson’s summary of those approaches:

From early childhood onwards, girls compete using strategies that minimize the risk of retaliation and reduce the strength of other girls. Girls’ competitive strategies include avoiding direct interference with another girl’s goals, disguising competition, competing overtly only from a position of high status in the community, enforcing equality within the female community and socially excluding other girls.
Jonathan Haidt explains that privileging female strategies does not eliminate conflict. Rather it yields “a different kind of conflict. There is a greater emphasis on what someone said which hurt someone else, even if unintentionally. There is a greater tendency to respond to an offense by mobilizing social resources to ostracize the alleged offender.”

Nowhere is this more apparent than in the realm of free speech and the tenor of our public discourse where consensus and the prohibition on “offense” and “harm” take precedence over truth.

luka

human resources is a very feminine thing isnt it? damping down conflict without resolving it. making soothing noises.

luka

luckily i work in a briny, male milleu, very hairy chested. we are very courageous and bold out on the high seas. but the rest of you have to grapple with emasculation and human resources.

Clinamenic

Binary & Tweed
luckily i work in a briny, male milleu, very hairy chested. we are very courageous and bold out on the high seas. but the rest of you have to grapple with emasculation and human resources.
Spoken like a true sigma mariner.

luka

ive got a bolivar cigar which i will try and smoke. i often find the cubans have too tight a draw though so im worried about it. the label is lovely though. i mostly stick with the new world stuff though ive found romeo and juleta 3s and epicure 2s and partagas 4s are all mostly pretty reliable.

luka

i got a few sachets of english mustard from the brockley barge too so very much good value for money

I find the larger points and general style of something like this objectionable but do recognize and feel some amount of distaste for the tendencies described:

It’s moldbugs cathedral again. What’s the deal with these metaphors? kpunks vampire castle, this Catholic guys longhouse and moldbugs cathedral? A certain fascination with gothic buildings and systemic power, institutional abuse?