luka

I like how their disgusting fat family are constantly munching candies and slurping Pepsi

luka

What I didn't like actually was the family particularly his dad (wimp dad). He reminded me too much Jim Carey who I hated as a youngster and still hate now. He's probably a nonce. Sets my teeth on edge.

IdleRich

IdleRich
What I didn't like actually was the family particularly his dad (wimp dad). He reminded me too much Jim Carey who I hated as a youngster and still hate now. He's probably a nonce. Sets my teeth on edge.

Well...

Glover appeared on Late Night with David Letterman on July 28, 1987 to promote River's Edge.[25] Unknown to Letterman and the audience, Glover appeared in character as Rubin from the then-unreleased film Rubin and Ed, wearing platform shoes and a wig. Rather than a conventional interview, Glover staged an Andy Kaufman-like prank. After being goaded by a woman in the audience (who some argue had been planted),[26] Glover stated he "knew that this was gonna happen" and "the press, they can do things, they can twist things around." After challenging Letterman to an arm-wrestling match, Glover delivered an impromptu karate kick a few feet from Letterman while stating "I'm strong...I can kick!"[27] Letterman then abruptly ended the segment by walking off stage, saying "I'm going to check on the Top 10," as the program cut to commercial.
The subsequent confusion and controversy surrounding his appearance was compounded by the fact that Rubin and Ed was not released until 1991. However, the film had been in development since before Back to the Future, and Glover already had devised Rubin's "look" by 1985.[15] Glover has refused to go into detail about the reasons for his behavior on the show, other than to mention that he was flattered that fans are still speculating on the performance decades later.[28] He also stated that he prefers there to be an "air of mystery" about the appearance. In an interview in 2011, Back to the Future co-star Michael J. Fox talked about the incident with Letterman, saying "Crispin isn't crazy, just excitable."

And then he made the film What is It? From which my main memory is a load of people with downs syndrome or cerebal palsey killing slugs and having sex while Johnny Rebel's racist anthem "Some ******s never die, they just smell that way" plays in the background.

IdleRich

IdleRich
You're not supposed to see the film unless you see it live and he does some kind of presentation and explains it I think. But obviously I wasn't gonna be able to do that so I found a dodgy copy somewhere.

IdleRich

IdleRich
What Is It? is a movie where, in one half of the movie, all of the actors have Down's Syndrome, giving it a freakshow feel to it. The other half of the movie includes Crispin Glover, Adam Parfrey, and a guy with cerebral palsy. This all had the feel of what John Waters was attempting to do with Desperate Living, and simultaneously feeling more successful and failing miserably.
The half with the Down's Syndrome actors also features many many killed snails. It is about a guy who has snails, and ends up killing one. He is also tormented by a bunch of other people, and a grasshopper. He falls in love with 2 girls, one of which he has sex with in a graveyard. He also has a falling out with a friend who teases him.
In a weird semi-interior set, Crispin Glover is the director of this show. He is something like the control of the guy's mind, and the cerebral palsy guy is something like the sexuality. Well, he at least gets masturbated in explicit scenes. There is other "shocking" imagery made humorous, like Nazi Swaztikas crossed with Shirley Temple, and minstrels in black face saying they're Michael Jackson.
In the outside world, the tormentor is still dealing with his love of killing snails and being beaten by the other people. They beat him with rocks, and such. Later, they beat the minstrel after putting him on trial.
Back to the interior, Crispin Glover is still the ruler of his set, and tries to control everybody, but fails miserably.
What Is It? makes less sense than Dr. Caligari, and has more than a passing style stolen from it. The claustrophobic mental space feels very much like the way the no-wall sets of Dr. Caligari felt claustrophobic. They also had some dialogue that was absolute nonsense. And, it was all wrapped up with absurdist imagery for humor.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
And then he made the film What is It? From which my main memory is a load of people with downs syndrome or cerebal palsey killing slugs and having sex while Johnny Rebel's racist anthem "Some ******s never die, they just smell that way" plays in the background.
I don't think I've ever heard of a more 'you' film!

WashYourHands

Cat Malogen
Also I'm pretty sure he's not a nonce.
I randomly read this article about this crazy property he has in the Czech Republic - there is a bit (I mean a bit) more to it than "check out my castle bitches".

https://www.architecturaldigest.com/story/crispin-glover-czech-castle

Yeah I mean his character’s Santa routine, lunches and the bit about bugs crawling,over his asshole while he does that slow jazz step. Conspiritualist meets Deleuzian schizophrenic as a byproduct of capitalism. That reads terribly, but youknowwhatimeanm8

IdleRich

IdleRich
Yeah I mean his character’s Santa routine, lunches and the bit about bugs crawling,over his asshole while he does that slow jazz step. Conspiritualist meets Deleuzian schizophrenic as a byproduct of capitalism. That reads terribly, but youknowwhatimeanm8
Not totally I'll be honest.