Children

Simon silverdollarcircle

Like any drug, parenthood largely reinforces and amplifies the character traits that are already there.

Like being organised and planning people's lives? Becoming a parent will mean you can absolutely smash that.

Like making poo jokes and dancing in the kitchen? You now have a partner in crime to indulge this to an infinite degree

Simon silverdollarcircle

When I got ok with the idea of us trying for a kid it was largely because I was staring into the abyss of what a life without raving could be. I used to go a lot but gradually the raving crew started to dwindle. The energy and excitement wasn't there anymore after years of hammering it.

I knew I couldnt go back to straight life, like where you have dinner parties round friends houses and make polite conversation and then may be mooch round borough market or whatever. So I needed to do something that was as psychedically as intense and rushy and all consuming as raving. Having a kid was the obvious option.

One other thing...it's surprising difficult to make a baby we found. It involves sex on a tight schedule, with no deviations in terms of the type of sex, or the end point. It's a bit of a buzz kill really. Another work assignment. Gets to be a real drag and you're just relieved when the task is finally done.

linebaugh

When I got ok with the idea of us trying for a kid it was largely because I was staring into the abyss of what a life without raving could be. I used to go a lot but gradually the raving crew started to dwindle. The energy and excitement wasn't there anymore after years of hammering it.

I knew I couldnt go back to straight life, like where you have dinner parties round friends houses and make polite conversation and then may be mooch round borough market or whatever. So I needed to do something that was as psychedically as intense and rushy and all consuming as raving. Having a kid was the obvious option.

One other thing...it's surprising difficult to make a baby we found. It involves sex on a tight schedule, with no deviations in terms of the type of sex, or the end point. It's a bit of a buzz kill really. Another work assignment. Gets to be a real drag and you're just relieved when the task is finally done.
I would think having a kid puts you in close quarters with the straight life- you need a reliable job, safe neighborhood, polite acquaintance with teachers and the other parents - how did you avoid it?

Simon silverdollarcircle

I would think having a kid puts you in close quarters with the straight life- you need a reliable job, safe neighborhood, polite acquaintance with teachers and the other parents - how did you avoid it?
Oh I still do those things but because of the kid a large part of my life is ruled by Eris. That was what it was like when I was raving tho. Still had a job etc but then the weekends /some weekday evenings were the opposite of all that.
I like having that balance between chaos and order but kids are of course not the only way. Just a relatively obvious way. The path of least resistance, in a way.

Leo

it was slightly unnerving when my mom first started talking to me differently, as a full-fledged adult as opposed to just her son. we'd always gotten along ok but it felt odd, in a positive way, as if we'd made some sort of unconscious breakthrough. asking my opinion instead of telling me how things should be, for example. or genuine interest in things going on in my career/life.

also remember a related moment with my dad: I'd been out of college for a couple of years and while back home visiting in the summer, he asked me if I wanted a beer. christ, I never saw that one coming. I'd graduated from son to a beer-drinking peer, talking about politics or business news or sports or whatever.

DannyL

Wild Horses
Re. Children as agents of Eris - one of the weird things about kids is how they use and relate to objects. I'm continually surprised at the different ways our youngest is trying to do things. Like why eat a sandwich when you can split it into component parts? Why sit still to watch TV when you can dance or sit on the back of the sofa? Even down to holding objects like pens or knives and forks. That's partly a size issue but also to do with how much behaviour is learned. I guess I'm surprised how much is learned, the "proper way" of doing stuff.

DannyL

Wild Horses
Possibly...but also her being a nosy bag ;)

I used to carefully tear Razzle into sections and stash the segments in LP sleeves.
Wasn't that quite annoying when "the mood took you"? Having to hastily reassemble your favourite photo spread, losing track of which bits in which LP etc etc.

sus

it was slightly unnerving when my mom first started talking to me differently, as a full-fledged adult as opposed to just her son. we'd always gotten along ok but it felt odd, in a positive way, as if we'd made some sort of unconscious breakthrough. asking my opinion instead of telling me how things should be, for example. or genuine interest in things going on in my career/life.

also remember a related moment with my dad: I'd been out of college for a couple of years and while back home visiting in the summer, he asked me if I wanted a beer. christ, I never saw that one coming. I'd graduated from son to a beer-drinking peer, talking about politics or business news or sports or whatever.
Was this just before Prohibition or right after?

Leo

Edison has just invented the light bulb, so we were able to converse in the evening without fear of accidentally knocking over the kerosene lamp.

Last edited:

luka

My mum still hasn't started talking to me like an adult but I'm not sure she treats anyone at all as an adult come to think of it. It was a huge relief when my dad decided to give up on me and just sort of take me as I am. I was maybe mid twenties?

sus

My mum still hasn't started talking to me like an adult but I'm not sure she treats anyone at all as an adult come to think of it. It was a huge relief when my dad decided to give up on me and just sort of take me as I am. I was maybe mid twenties?
What were your flaws, in his eyes?