Soul, the disneyfication

woops

is not like other people
He said this more than once, Elster did, in more than one way.
Can't stand this kind of pseudo profound cop out. Paul Auster does it too like this:

She was the most intelligennt woman I've ever met. We talked for hours. Next day,

luka

i should have said trent reznor's soundtrack WORK - he did the social network, the girl with the dragon tattoo, etc

WELL YOU DIDNT DID YOU YOU LED US TO BELIEVE YOU HAD WATCHED THE FILM AND THOUGHT VERY HIGHLY OF ITS NINE INCH NAILS SOUNDTRACK

version

Can't stand this kind of pseudo profound cop out. Paul Auster does it too like this:

She was the most intelligennt woman I've ever met. We talked for hours. Next day,
Well, that's part of the point. That character sits around saying stuff like that until his daughter goes missing and he suddenly has something real to deal with then he shuts up.

version

Oh, you mean that one bit? I thought you meant the full quote. It doesn't bother me tbh. What else is he gonna do? Make you read every single way he said the same thing?

woops

is not like other people
how about not allude to various mystifications he can't be bothered to specify? what's added by that kind of stuff? just the illusion that this elser character is wiser than elillo can actually make him. it's a con

woops

is not like other people
"he was a very interesting man. he said very interesting things. i thought he was very interesting. then i went to the shop"

sus

Coca-Cola stealing the colour red.
One of the other things I wanted to do, something I learned from Prynne, was point out the way capitalism colonises the language of nature. Bank, stream, branch, and here Burroughs is talking about a similar colonisation of colour.
Banks were frequently state-run in Ye Olde Days; "branches" has been used as a metaphor for a thousand kinds of human organization from the military to government; "stream" is a tech term that predates a marketable Internet; and the Soviet frickin Union stole the color red too.

Language is built on metaphors: our entire digital world is built on metaphors (because it's new and unfamiliar, we must make sense of it through analogy to the familiar). Documents, copy-paste, mice, server, desktops, clouds. None of this has anything to do with that persistent scapegoat "capitalism" (or its brother-concept "neoliberalism").