sus

Padraig reread the thread! There's no defenses of Western Civ here! I'll admit I stan for classical music, but that's hardly an imperialist take! We're interested in a neutral sociology of the "going trad" phenomenon here... no need for a judgey argument over who's right or who's dumb or who's an asshole.

Let's set all this conflict to the side, remember all our good times together ol buddy

sus

These are all the defenses I can think of before I go on a long calming peaceful walk around the lake, no thoughts of culture war in my head

sus

I hope when Padraig sees these he realizes I don't wanna oppress anyone, I just like zippy expressions that provide a good map of the world

padraig (u.s.)

a monkey that will go ape
I wouldn't know what is or isn't an MRA talking point, since I've never interacted with the MRA side of the internet—never had to, I was always so successful with women!

You on the other hand seem very familiar...
Lololol gus is going in

You'll have to sling better insults and innuendo than that

padraig (u.s.)

If a Trump boi on the Internet constantly, obsessively talks about the Decline of America and its loss of Traditional Values, and how gullible plebs aren't actually suffering, just upset bc the Liberal Media tells them to be, and etc, I'm inclined to take him @ face value.

There, there's equally stupid use of Capitalization to match the italics.

padraig (u.s.)

"Traditionalism" is a euphemism for reactionary

Why else is it inevitably such a narrow, politicized form of "tradition"

Who really gives a shit, but it is more galling to see ppl peddle this nonsense when it's - not personally, but at a societal discourse level - leaving actual bodies in the streets

sus

"If" a Trump boi. Padraig the first time we ever interacted on this board www.dissensusDotCom you told me that I wouldn't last long if I projected over what people actually said and believed. but

- I voted Hillary in 2016 and didn't vote in 2020
- this thread has nothing to do with a "loss of traditional values," it has to do with the trend of people going trad. there's a 60+pg thread I also made about brooklyn media circles—and despite these two cliques having opposite political and social values, everyone still insists that the reason for my interest has to be personal/political
- Both the left and the right believe American geopolitical and economic fortunes are in decline; this is a point Peter Thiel and David Graeber have buddy-buddy'd about for upwards of an hour before finding
- the whole picture of me crusading about "gullible plebs" is literally just me +1ing Stan in a thread because he made an interesting point about Desperation vs Depression, discussing how stuff like an opioid epidemic is a symptom of depression. not "oh the peasants are fine they just needa get over it"

can't defend my caps n italics tho; I guess you win that rounD!

sus

Seriously tho, maybe I'm partially to blame for not being crystal clear, but also—this is pub rules. Everyone's shitposting constantly. I just assume everything I post gets taken with a grain of salt. And yet the above post is a systematic caricaturing & strawmanning of my beliefs, which you know are nowhere near it. Or at least I hope you do.

luka

I should set up a poll. What does Gus believe?

I'd just need to sort out the options.

sus

Hint for the strategically ignorant: My three favorite philosophers in college were John Dewey, Peter Singer, and John Rawls.

Which Padraig even already knows! Which is why it's so crazy I've been selected as the board representative of rightwing nationalism!

padraig (u.s.)

didn't vote in 2020
You literally said u voted for him. U also said WI is a battleground state maybe mine will be the deciding vote, or words to that effect. So you were either lying then or are now.

Not that that really matters,, bc whether or not u voted for him in 2020 isn't really the salient point, your usual talking points are. Tbh I think u should just embrace it now that you're beyond the reaches of purported evil NY art etc world groupthink. Yr positions are what they are, why handwring over them?

luka

An interesting move of gus's is that when pressed he will always say something perfectly reasonable and measured but the second the heat is off he starts asking questions about the rate of black crime

Inserted without comment. In the interests of throwing fuel on the fire.

padraig (u.s.)

"Going trad" is a literal reaction to a supposed loss of traditional values. Not just now, but at any point in history when ppl have started bemoaning a loss of traditional values. What else could it possibly be?

And it always rears up when there's been some expansion of power - suffrage or otherwise - to parts of society who didn't have it before and/or in the wake of some great national trauma. A return to the golden age. Palingenetic rebirth. We've been over this many times.