padraig (u.s.)

a monkey that will go ape
Btw just tbc I never said gus was an avatar of right-wing nationalism. I said what I thought of "going trad" and I said that linking it to a reaction to corporate feminism is bullshit. Anything beyond that is a dude that doth protest too much (take that as you will). The Mozart etc guff is pretty silly but not yunno actually objectionable in any way.

In other words, fake traditionalism is reactionary and dumb, and I think gus holds some legitimately objectionable views, but I'm not accusing him of espousing that kind of virulent fake traditionalism.

padraig (u.s.)

a monkey that will go ape
Also for the record I don't dislike gus @suspended

in fact the opposite

I think he holds some v misguided views (he may think the same of me, idk) formed by it seems elite liberal arts ca late 2010s trauma

But If I didn't like him or think he was worth challenging I'd just ignore him. I still have hope that we can undo the damage.

sus

Btw just tbc I never said gus was an avatar of right-wing nationalism. I said what I thought of "going trad" and I said that linking it to a reaction to corporate feminism is bullshit. Anything beyond that is a dude that doth protest too much (take that as you will). The Mozart etc guff is pretty silly but not yunno actually objectionable in any way.

In other words, fake traditionalism is reactionary and dumb, and I think gus holds some legitimately objectionable views, but I'm not accusing him of espousing that kind of virulent fake traditionalism.
"he doth protest too much" being, btw, infamous as the thing you say when you're setting someone up

I feel like as a Lasch+Graeber reader with sympathies to working class history you're being a little willfully selective here, reducing the history of traditionalism/reaction/pastoralism to the causes you do. Class anxiety and the rise of cities are as big a part of this picture as "the expansion of civil liberties" to new groups.

You'd probably also agree that there was a huge—maybe historically unprecedented—shift in cultural norms and aesthetics in the 20th C, from architectural, art, music, etc—which is another part of the picture. So why are you so intent on reducing this down to "stupid golden age traditionalism that we've seen a million times"?

version

He's not a Nazi, he just really likes black leather.
740full-ilsa:-she-wolf-of-the-ss----------------------------------(1975)-screenshot.jpg

version

I read most of Gus' comments in this vein as somewhat tongue-in-cheek, much like I do Luka's. It often feels like provocative prodding rather than serious ideological statements.

Reactions: sus

sus

You want me to be some posterboy for the big baddie Padraig but I ain't I don't like the fella, repulsive, who could? it's unthinkable.

sus

Secretly deep down I think we're on the same side, I think you believe in Sturgeon's law the same way I do.