Roobric

Since @WebEschatology mentioned him, I'm curious what you all think of Laa Lee. Vocally he's more trad (that tradition being: 00s dance-oriented dancehall...there's likely a better way of putting that), but some of the riddims are surprising.

I quite like Dirt Bounce, which sounds amapiano-influenced to me:

Bird also has an african house quality to it, I think? not really my area of expertise:

Tip Inna It is the big hit (video has a long intro):

shakahislop

Since @WebEschatology mentioned him, I'm curious what you all think of Laa Lee. Vocally he's more trad (that tradition being: 00s dance-oriented dancehall...there's likely a better way of putting that), but some of the riddims are surprising.

Bird also has an african house quality to it, I think? not really my area of expertise:

is that roll deep / role deep t-shirt in the first one anything to do with Roll Deep, or is that referring to something else i don't get?

Benny Bunter

The Laa Lee stuff's pretty fun, not really my bag, but I can see why dancehall fans who hate the trap sound like it. Definitely South African influenced.

Roobric

I do like that Benny, thanks, though ultimately this stuff doesn't thrill me as much as the murder music does. Still, good to have other sounds in the mix. I was a bit skeptical of the "flat" discussion here a while back (Skeng /= dancehall), but then I listened to this new Govana track, which is completely enervating:

He's never been that impressive, but he's a lot more fun to listen to when he's drawing on Aidonia. I guess there's a fine line between grippingly minimalistic and dull monotony; I'm not sure where this Roze Don falls

Benny Bunter

Class

are you keeping a playlist?
Yeah I keep a yearly one where I dump everything so I can go back over it later, so it's insanely long and has quite a bit of flab. I'll update the dissensus one I made near the start of the thread though for you with the best stuff

Couple of recent killer riddim mixes here for the time being.

Upstairs Riddim

90s Rock Riddim

shakahislop

i vividly remember being at a school disco in about 1997 and the girls (who were maybe 12 years old) started dancing a bit like they do on this video with the simulated humping, to the ibiza banger Sex On The Beach, and then the adults turned it off

that i think is the reason jamaica is more innovative than rural berkshire

Benny Bunter

Tip - play Squash's version of Mek E Place Nice Riddim approximately 13 times in a row when inebriated...

..and when you get bored of that, chuck these other versions on

Then go to bed happy :)

Benny Bunter

'Braff' is definitely my favourite new-ish Jamaican slang word, always sounds so good with that long vowel sound through the autotune, Braaaafin'!

forclosure

The Urban dictionary as a site is something that's never gonna sit comfortably with me

that Braff tune is good though