What countries do you crush on?

version

I stand by my initial comment about anywhere but the UK though. Everywhere seems cooler when you're unfamiliar with it.

I've always had a thing about rainforests, but that isn't specific to any particular country. It's just any rainforest.

everyone has this I think it’s an ancient memory thing, our home 50,000 years back, a hyper stimulating and beautiful environment that forced rapid adaptation in the human psyche

I stand by my initial comment about anywhere but the UK though. Everywhere seems cooler when you're unfamiliar with it.

I think I need a while to get familiar with a place and it’s people a little to crush on it, so for me it’s prob Glasgow, Derry, London before I moved here

luka

I think I need a while to get familiar with a place and it’s people a little to crush on it, so for me it’s prob Glasgow, Derry, London before I moved here
jesus christ hes talking about dream countries not real countries!

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
I mean a country (landscape, culture) that has occupied and entranced your imagination. Let's say you love french literature and movies and art so much that you wish you were french. You like to think the people in france are more cultured, more 'you', and that if you lived there you'd be embraced and unleashed.

And it's all made up in your head, of course, because if you lived in France you'd know they're just as variable as the British.

luka

craner might quite like the real italy but its the dream italy hes really invested in

luka

theyre total thickos arent they corpsey they stil think its about where you like going on holiday

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
There's a Michael Palin series where he visits the Sahara and he talks about how as a little boy he used to dream of going there. He'd be looking at these romanticised paintings of the desert and it enthralled and enraptured his imagination.

yyaldrin

in je ogen waait de wind
it would be england i think. i like its literature, its poetry, its music. i like it how the people are funny and cool. i would never want to live there though cos of the prices and the weather.

IdleRich

IdleRich
I did buy some books that are set in Turkey, and I've read some Orhan Pamuk. Do you know how hard it is to find good books set in Georgia though? Quite hard apparently. Anyone got any tips? The sort of thing in which Tbilisi is a character?

th

tbilisi-37618.jpg

sufi

lala
they dont understand your thread you should explain it again.

most people arent obsessed with an exotic place. im not. its fairly rare.
I get crushing nostalgia for places I visited, especially in the 90s,

but I get a lot of dreams about brazil which I never visited but which must hold some special significance for me

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
Was it on here people were talking about how Japan was somewhere they romanticised before they lived there, at which time the warts became visible?

version

it would be england i think. i like its literature, its poetry, its music. i like it how the people are funny and cool. i would never want to live there though cos of the prices and the weather.
I find it near impossible to get my head around this as I hate England so much. It feels like depression manifested as a geographical location. Just a wretched, cursed place with shit weather and full of awful, stupid people.