Popular and its news to you

Corpsey

bandz ahoy

This has 188k plays on YouTube, but it has 52 MILLION plays on Spotify.

I have no idea how this happened.

In part this is about simply being out of the loop. Like recently discovering Sia is the 13th most popular artist in the world on Spotify. Sia, who I thought was the singer on that Wookie remix, and that was about all I knew.

yyaldrin

in je ogen waait de wind
1f1c2a7eb3084e8f0c8df972b153c5a8b3de4e86_picture.1-click_farm.jpg

DLaurent

you can buy plays on spotify can't you?

My brother has over a million plays on Spotify on some tracks under the name Druid (lo fi hip hop) and 100k+ on youtube I only taught him how to use Logic a couple of years ago. Not insanely popular but I think it's surprising how music gets round these days.

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
I doubt this guy bought 52 million plays, isn't that more a major label move?

I thought it would be googleable but I can't really find anything.

I think it's safe to assume it appears regularly on that lofi hip hop YouTube channel.

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
Lo-fi hip hop (so called) is another wing of the "why is ambient so popular these days" trend.

Reactions: sus

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
And even more so in pandemic world, where we're all working in our bedrooms, not talking to anyone all day, needing a soothing soundtrack to stop us from going mad.

entertainment

Lo-fi hip hop (so called) is another wing of the "why is ambient so popular these days" trend.
it's blatantly muzak though in a way that ambient never was. it doesn't strive to be musically new in any way. it doesn't strive to serve a function by means of musical exploration. it does what it does by virtue of being what it is - a codified "style" or "mood" or "aesthetic.

Reactions: sus

boxedjoy

Sia is huuuuuuuge now. I remember thinking in 2000 "Waiting For You" was an interesting Top Ten single, very jazzy and the lyrical story being a bit different to what else was around. Then she did all that Zero 7 stuff and her song was featured at the end of Six Feet Under and thought she seemed destined for Imogen Heap curio-level of fame. Then suddenly she was writing songs for Rihanna and David Guetta and making a blockbuster movie, it's very odd isn't it.

Benny Bunter

Even though all this stuff is massive and more available than ever before, it's also seems to be easier and easier for me to avoid it completely, in my own little bubble.

Btw isnt Sia getting cancelled over that new film about autism she's directed?

sufi

lala
This is exactly like Delilo's most photographed barn in America with people taking pictures of it purely cos it's the most photographed.
i posted somewhere about how come a smalltime regional uk diss track becomes the backing of this tiktok mega smash

sufi

lala

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
The spread of music via social media is very interesting. That idea that ANYTHING could become huge cos it's featured in a tiktok. And then, what are the knock on effects (if any) of that?

Like does that clip cause people to either check out more grime/bassline stuff or seek to replicate it without knowing where it came from?

muser

I get the feeling a lot of the time they don't have a clue what the music is and often don't find out, certainly my nephews and neices don't seem to know most of the time. The other day I caught one looking at some popular tiktok which had a psytrance remix of nirvana on it, totally bizarre, and then some Dominican reggaeton.