Most true to the spirit of Reggae/Dub Reggae and NOT from Jamaica

luka

i think you can say theres a definite kinship between reggae and all the swamp musics of america becasue of the mangrove heat humidty sweat

IdleRich

IdleRich
i think you can say theres a definite kinship between reggae and all the swamp musics of america becasue of the mangrove heat humidty sweat
It sounds like there could be but I'd like you to expand on this... opposite sides of the same coin maybe?

catalog

I'm prepared to be wrong here... but straight off that sounds like utter bollocks.
i mean, i've maybe glossed over what he says... he's not quite saying there's a straight causal link or anything, more that it's a psychoanalytical way of looking at it

luka

i mean that all music can be thought of in terms of climate topography and biome creating family resemblances across different parts of the map

luka

its tempting to say the spirit of music is always the spirit of place but there are interesting anomalies eg salsa being 'invented' in New York

IdleRich

IdleRich
Yeah I agree... but is there more to it than "both from hot places"? Both sleepy, lilting with pent up tension etc I dunno.

luka

Yeah I agree... but is there more to it than "both from hot places"? Both sleepy, lilting with pent up tension etc I dunno.
oh i dont mean they are both music from hot places i mean the music itself has those characterisitcs

luka

i mean its natural and logical to assume there is a relationship between the place that produced the music and the qualities of the music too but that is maybe a different discussion

muser

Is dub the only music that is a stripped back minimal\maximal version of it's predecessor that is still warm and not dark/cold? Was it the first music to do this?

luka

yeah well do the exercise i guess. find the points of similarity and difference. i just dont want to feel like im having to defend my thesis against hostile invigilators id rather we all joined in and played together

luka

you can also use it to help exaplin things like the Congolese adoption of Cuban son music

luka

another interesting anomaly is the way jamacian msuic sounds so different to the music of the rest of the carribean. the danger with this stuff is alwayhs being to pat