Most true to the spirit of Reggae/Dub Reggae and NOT from Jamaica

luka

is there any music that uses brass in the same way? typically brass is extrovert, sometimes sleazy sometimes full of breezy pep, ostentatious vitality, untroubled optimism. how often does brass turn in on itself and its own solemn reverberations the way it does in jamacia

luka

Latin American horns often have something martial about them, military junta tinpot general which adds to the exoticism

Woebot

i mean its natural and logical to assume there is a relationship between the place that produced the music and the qualities of the music too but that is maybe a different discussion
yes.

but the question then becomes what happens to the spirit of reggae when you go to another geographical location?

i think you are implying that tropical warmth is the innate quality of reggae - and you might be right - BUT the sensibility does seem to have a way of travelling around the world.

the tropical vibe is the first thing that one has to let go of. otherwise it's sonic tourism/escapism.

reggae/dub is intensely concerned with its immediate surroundings. and so that sensibility of intense locality needs to map onto new locations.

Woebot

Is it a religious thing or is it an emotional thing or (in the case of dub) an interest in the mechanics of sound itself?
it's like a flashback to the mid nineties this thread i apologise.

partly because i'm cataloguing all those old records

with dub it's at that immediate meeting point/confluence of [to use your terms @Corpsey ] a religious thing (vis rastafarianism) AND the mechanics of sound (explicitly this idea of sounds dematerializing - emanating up and down in and out of invisibility)

this is probably the most dub reggae example of mainstream cinema

and sure enough

Woebot

@luka i think it was lazy of me not to make a distinction between reggae and dub. with reggae i think you're right actually. and its geography is central to it. i suppose dub transcends geography.

what tropical musics can i think of?

a fave

luka

another very distinctive characteristic of jamacin music is a vocal tone i refer to as 'hollow' exemplified by winston rodney and mavado. this voice is not heard anywhere else. nothing as ancient and dry and as hollowed out ancient oak exists anywhere on the planet