Clinamenic

Binary & Tweed
For those who are well positioned and have money reserved for bear market investments, these are the best days. This can be automated via limit orders. Totally hands-off.

Leo

on the other hand, is it fair for people to expect everything online to be free? if NBC creates and owns the IP to "office Jim", why shouldn't they get a payment -- even a sliver of one -- when someone wants to use their property? the concept of paying for use exists everywhere else in the world except on the internet.

toko

He is absolutely wrong about blockchains somehow preventing the free transfer of information. even if journals were to utilize NFTs there is no functional difference vs today in how easily the information can be sent/shared. the only difference is that proof-of-ownership would happen via a decentralized blockchain, rather than some publisher's private server. One can still illegally/legally send each other pdfs/information- NFTs only signify ownership, they don't magically prevent you from sharing the information of the thing you own.

Regardless I understand the sentiment, however misplaced it is. The property of non-rivalry of information on the internet throws a wrench in the capitalist paradigm, and thus it is (the non-scarcity of data/info) is worth preserving. Thus from his point of view, because NFTs seem to artificially create scarcity and rivalry for goods that do not/should not be scarce and rivalrous, NFTs are bad. This, however, misses the fact that this already occurs in our modern capitalist economy. DRM exists and is enforced by legal means. All digital content is already monetized. At least with NFTs the property system is transparent and (usually) built conscientiously.

Last edited:

toko

I think people overstate how innovative NFTs actually are from a purely functional perspective. The same functionality can in principle be realized by a more centralized technology. China, for example, could create a universal digital content platform where you can manage your digital content with one password, and allow the content to be interoperable. What is a novel about NFTs, is that we can get the benefits of a ubiquitous centralized ledger technology, i.e interoperability between digital content, universal ID for digital content, in a way that is transparent, tamper-proof, and censorship-resistant. (not to mention secondary qualities, such as credible-neutrality)

Last edited:

toko

He is absolutely wrong about blockchains somehow preventing the free transfer of information. even if journals were to utilize NFTs there is no functional difference vs today in how easily the information can be sent/shared. the only difference is that proof-of-ownership would happen via a decentralized blockchain, rather than some publisher's private server. One can still illegally/legally send each other pdfs/information- NFTs only signify ownership, they don't magically prevent you from sharing the information of the thing you own.

Regardless I understand the sentiment, however misplaced it is. The property of non-rivalry of information on the internet throws a wrench in the capitalist paradigm, and thus it is (the non-scarcity of data/info) is worth preserving. Thus from his point of view, because NFTs seem to artificially create scarcity and rivalry for goods that do not/should not be scarce and rivalrous, NFTs are bad. This, however, misses the fact that this already occurs in our modern capitalist economy. DRM exists and is enforced by legal means. All digital content is already monetized. At least with NFTs the property system is transparent and (usually) built conscientiously.
Like I'm not sure what world he/she is living in, but literally all digital content is monetized to an infinite degree these days. You pay for everything today, the cost is just hidden behind the data you implicitly sell to google/facebook/twitter.

Clinamenic

Binary & Tweed
Yeah I know about the Megaponts and the Explorer Guild, but haven't gotten any.

Although my setup with NYCCoin will be yielding a good ongoing supply of STX, so I may start collecting soon enough.

yyaldrin

in je ogen waait de wind
is nft art always digital art? what i see is just pictures made on a computer such as those pixelated cartoons? can you also sell a physical sculpture via nft? how does that work?

Clinamenic

Binary & Tweed
is nft art always digital art? what i see is just pictures made on a computer such as those pixelated cartoons? can you also sell a physical sculpture via nft? how does that work?
Yeah you can associate anything with a NFT, in principle, its just too early to see how well the format works for certain assets, e.g. real estate.

But in general an NFT is just a certificate that can pertain to anything. Sporting tickets, legal documents, other things that can exist in a purely digital way.

But for physical things you just need to be creative and do some procedural legwork in meatspace for things to things to work properly. For example I;m interested in how an NFT can be made to represent an existing physical artwork, and how a sale would be coordinated here.

Clinamenic

Binary & Tweed
In the case of a physical sculpture, I'd say the NFT would just be a textual certificate or some other digital document that describes the ownership of the physical artwork.