Clinamenic

Binary & Tweed
And the psychological shift is significant as well, the feeling that you have a stake in the system.

My aunt made a similar point regarding social security here in the US, that as a political mechanism it makes people feel like that have a stake in the system, and are thus more invested (literally and figuratively) in the prosperity of the system. As opposed to someone who is outside the system altogether, i.e. completely unenfranchised.

Clinamenic

Binary & Tweed
Thats why I'm glad uncollateralized loans are (seemingly) not commonplace in crypto. If they were, exploits like this could have even worse consequences.

william_kent

In Second Largest DeFi Hack Ever, Blockchain Bridge Loses $320M Ether

seems that the attacker exploited "smart contracts" to mint crypto according to this guy on twitter - my eyes glazed over, somehow I'd rather read about some ballyed up East End villains armed with sawn offs running into a bank and shouting "on the floor you fucking slags or I'll blow your fucking heads off!" Even crime is boring in the age of social media...

Clinamenic

Binary & Tweed
Yeah investors refer to this possibility as "smart contract risk" and really its almost an omnipresent risk, and the only real measures you can take against it as a developer is to have your code audited.

william_kent

vimothy

yurp
one day its all going to crash and I'm gonig to be super magnanimous about it and say its a mistake anyone could have made

vimothy

yurp
I have no issue with ppl enjoying it while it lasts. why not. I just think the tech is dog shit and it's valuation is pure hype