IdleRich

IdleRich
And yet, such seems to dominantly characterize so many (otherwise noble and intelligent) peoples ideas of progress. I would stop just short of calling it thermodynamically impossible.
Presumably not thermodynamically impossible. If the human race was wiped out then things would be uninvented right? Or would they? Becomes a philosophical problem I guess.

Clinamenic

Binary & Tweed
Presumably not thermodynamically impossible. If the human race was wiped out then things would be uninvented right? Or would they? Becomes a philosophical problem I guess.
True, and I believe I said elsewhere that the only thing that would stop capitalism is our extinction. In that case, dematerialization, as a trend of extropy, would be severely backtracked in our neck of the woods.

But in a more figurative sense, the notion that humanity can civilly develop into the future without capitalism is so untenable, in my opinion, as to be considered thermodynamically impossible.

I mean more outside the institutions. Just artists and philosophers drawing more on science, seeing as free, premium educational material is increasingly prevalent online
We need new universities. The current ones are fucked to the core and back again. China deserves to win, and they will if they open non-ideological institutea of great learning, freedom, and power.

Clinamenic

Binary & Tweed
We need new universities. The current ones are fucked to the core and back again. China deserves to win, and they will if they open non-ideological institutea of great learning, freedom, and power.
What do you think about online education formats? Surely new accreditation mechanisms need to be worked out, as well as proper interfacing opportunities between pupil and professor, but in principle such a shift could lower the costs of operating such institutions, no?

But I would agree with you that we need new ones, ones perhaps built for the digital age.

Clinamenic

Binary & Tweed
I'm sure there is real science there, I'm just totally unfamiliar with it.

But also all the psychedelic therapy research. Also unfamiliar, but I know there is real science there with real promise.

Clinamenic

Binary & Tweed
read this Stan. it should take about 20 minutes or so. let me know what you think in 22 minutes time https://solutioperfecta.files.wordpress.com/2011/10/g2-katko.pdf
Only a couple pages in:

The radical philological method here practiced is perhaps a metonym for the reorganisation of all available means of knowing, along ethical, aesthetic, and logical axes, in order to “deliver them / from their Vicious Isolation.”19 The critical labor of teasing out and piecing together the specialty discourses hybridized in interdisciplinary cross-implication from the depths of scientific history by the PTM is the ambitious task now set before us.

luka

having been involved in academic psychedelic research i can tell you it is not remotely scientific

Clinamenic

Binary & Tweed
having been involved in academic psychedelic research i can tell you it is not remotely scientific
I was thinking more as a focus within cognitive neuroscience. Its really not an outlandish claim that there is real science there. Its just neurophysiology, psychology, various other discursive approaches. And if its not a truly established scientific focus now, it certainly has the potential to be.