Clinamenic

Binary & Tweed
@catalog actually now that I'm doing it, I'm not sure that putting the same seed number results in the same sequence of images. Could be that I wasn't precisely consistent with the input texts, but I believe I was.

Clinamenic

Binary & Tweed
stains like a rorschach test. still fun
I don't know, I think there is more to it than that. It reminds me, although in a more warped and alien way, of how a child's depiction of a scene is unrealistic and maybe impressionistic in ways that get kinked out as they conform their style to what they learn, and as they hone their craft, etc.

More precise tagging of images, presumably, could result in even more accurate "feeling" images.

Clinamenic

Binary & Tweed
Because these aren't truly randomly generated, there is a layer of human-legible order on the end of the training set, which is drawn from albeit imperfectly. I'm doing one with "star" "moon" and "wood" and all three make a discernible impact on the resulting images.

Clinamenic

Binary & Tweed
@catalog actually now that I'm doing it, I'm not sure that putting the same seed number results in the same sequence of images. Could be that I wasn't precisely consistent with the input texts, but I believe I was.
Actually I may have just been inconsistent with the input texts. I'm starting the round again with the same seed, and it looks to be identical to the last round.

catalog

I would be surprised if two rounds were totally identical but that's good to know you can get something consistent if you use the same seed

seed: the seed will determine the map of noise that VQGAN will use as its initial image - similar to how the concept of a seed works in Minecraft. Setting the value of the seed to -1 will generate a random image every time. Using any positive integer will generate the same sheet of noise each time, allowing for comparisons in style and tone between different images.

Clinamenic

Binary & Tweed
I want to also establish some more techniques here. I wonder if I input "brown top | cyan bottom" if it will separate the colors into the top and bottom halves of the image.

Clinamenic

Binary & Tweed
I would be surprised if two rounds were totally identical but that's good to know you can get something consistent if you use the same seed

This mentions how computationally intensive these neural networks are, which I was worried about.

One could be thrifty in how these aesthetic experiments are handled, in the effort of forming a kind of pidgin interfacing technique with these things.

The "brown top | cyan bottom" input would be a simple probe, to see how this GAN interprets spatial/directional inputs.

And beyond just changing the parameters, one can manipulate and reconstruct the results.

@catalog @william_kent did one of us mentioned the possibility of using image files as input? That may allow a whole other panel of levers to pull.

But at this point maybe one should just learn to code them directly, and I am only starting to appreciate how energy-intensive this whole practice is.

catalog

@Clinamenic Yeah you can upload an image, use the Spanish language one.

you need to put it in the temporary folder to the left of the parameters area, then copy the file path to it and enter it into thd initial image field. On my phone atm so can't really do a screenshot easily but if you can't figure it out, lmk

william_kent

@catalog @william_kent did one of us mentioned the possibility of using image files as input? That may allow a whole other panel of levers to pull.

The GAN I use allows the use of an array of images which can be referenced by URL - e.g., ['image00', 'image01', 'image02',] - it's also possible to do an array of strings, like ['this is phrase one | in the style of something', 'this is phrase two | in the style of something else' ]..
Combining arrays of image and text prompts can be interesting.

Last edited:

william_kent

@Clinamenic last night I had a thought that "Toward a Mythos of Extropy" would make a great album title for a prog rock or metal band and went ahead and made the GAN generate some fake LP covers..

1633082074954.png

Toward a Mythos of Extropy | progressive rock album by 'Clinamenic' | in the style of Roger Dean

1633082107224.png

Toward a Mythos of Extropy | symphonic black metal album by 'Clinamenic' | in the style of symphonic black metal album art

seed: 0.666

Clinamenic

Binary & Tweed
what is it you like about it? the wibbling?
Really my fascination is philosophic mainly, but also pseudo-scientific. We as humans have our parameters of perception (the visible and audible spectra, for example) as do these neural networks. Only with the NNs we get to completely program them.