linebaugh

In all seriousness I'm not sure I get NFTs. Whats getting everyone so excited? How is it more than just a digital art market?

Clinamenic

Binary & Tweed
For anyone who doesn’t know, these NFTs have programmable royalties that can yield profit for the minter/artist every time it is resold. Platforms like OpenSea have service fees, because they facilitate the market and abstract away the daunting complexity, but NFTs can be minted and manipulated independently, on a number of blockchains (even ones with lower fees than Ethereum. Looking into NFTs on Algorand currently).

catalog

I don't know about the nfts but the GANs to me are very similar to psychogeography/god on the pavements. You have something in mind as text or image or both. And you conjure it up. Obviously on an aesthetic level its not quite right, you maybe can't control it in the way you could if you actually wrote or drew or painted something, but the flipside is the surprise at what does come back, the little bits that are just unexpected but somehow work

Clinamenic

Binary & Tweed
You would think that with the arrival of the digital (e.g. Napster I guess) that ownership becomes untenable, what with all the opportunity to duplicate. No duplicating NFTs.

Clinamenic

Binary & Tweed
You can duplicate the content, but actually having the NfT in your wallet is a symbolic certificate of ownership of a unique asset, and that auditable uniqueness is what can drive/sustain higher valuations.

Clinamenic

Binary & Tweed
It, as just one facet of blockchain, promises to revolutionize a number of practices across a number of sectors.

Clinamenic

Binary & Tweed
Commodities can be represented by tokens (“tokenized”) and accounted for on a blockchain accessible to all or some of the parties involved in that commodity’s life cycle, and documents such as bills of lading can be represented by NFTs.

Clinamenic

Binary & Tweed
Only the vast majority of public policy makers still seem to be groggily opening their eyes to such prospects.

Clinamenic

Binary & Tweed
But really the only point of owning them then is that they offer the chance to make money?
Yeah, if we are talking NFTs as artworks, and in this case highly speculative investments. But my point was that NFTs generalize beyond art, just as blockchain generalizes beyond crypto. Much of this may become almost ubiquitously employed tech because of what it enables, I.e digital scarcity, decentralized monetary policy, automated financial maneuvering, etc.

Clinamenic

Binary & Tweed
Increased liquidity due to faster settlement time, which could mitigate risk for some financial institutions.

Cryptographically guaranteed financial outcomes thanks to smart contracts, given reliable data feeds.

Still just scratching the surface, it seems.

catalog

The GANs are a way of mashing up with a machine and something interesting could happen.

We've been looking for a new machine for ages, this is it.

There should be a GAN for music really, where you could hum it a tune and it makes it for you, but obviously can't do it right.

That's what's missing at the moment, the interface of the book and entering the text is not right. I wanna speak to it.

catalog

Yeah, if we are talking NFTs as artworks, and in this case highly speculative investments. But my point was that NFTs generalize beyond art, just as blockchain generalizes beyond crypto. Much of this may become almost ubiquitously employed tech because of what it enables, I.e digital scarcity, decentralized monetary policy, automated financial maneuvering, etc.
Yeah this is where I don't get it, cos go me the pleasure of the art is sort of self evident in how you sensorially experience it. You don't really need to own, but or sell it for that to work.

But take the point that you need some way that's better than we got now to inject some dash into the system

Clinamenic

Binary & Tweed
Yeah this is where I don't get it, cos go me the pleasure of the art is sort of self evident in how you sensorially experience it. You don't really need to own, but or sell it for that to work.

But take the point that you need some way that's better than we got now to inject some dash into the system
Yeah the NFTs are much more of an innovation on the business end of art, than on the creative end.