version

Speaking as an outsider, I have this theory that Anglos have done themselves a lot of favours with not dabbling in dialectics and all sorts of other eschatological, all-encompasing nonsense ideas of similar nature.

There's clearly a temptation to blowing things up into totalising systems.

other_life

bioconfused
Speaking as an outsider, I have this theory that Anglos have done themselves a lot of favours with not dabbling in dialectics and all sorts of other eschatological, all-encompasing nonsense ideas of similar nature.

priggish methodological nationalism! do you ever think about how awful of a stylist bertrand russell was?

germaphobian

priggish methodological nationalism! do you ever think about how awful of a stylist bertrand russell was?

He was pretty bad yeah, no way of denying that. But I always wanted to read his novel, "Devil in Suburbs" or something like that, always interested me how he wrote fiction. I sort of imagine it being like Ballard, very analytical and lifeless, but in a good way - brits have that capability, I admire that and you should too. Continentals are hysterics essentially, so brits have always have balanced it out, it's almost like some sort of... dialectic...

germaphobian

I like eschatology. Islam started as apocalyptic end times movement, I mean so did christianity, but then the catholics and later prots made it shit and boring.
My man, Islam really sucks and have been detrimental to everyone involved except maybe homosexual camels, but even that's under review.

other_life

bioconfused
i assume you insist the beit al-hikmah, averroism as proto-spinozism/medieval forerunner to the radical enlightenment, the import of arab scholarship in the alfonsine renaissance &c were all in spite of islam?..

Clinamenic

Binary & Tweed
dont understand why dialecic is so into the number 2 why only 2 can we explain?
My understanding is that the term itself is cognate with / rooted in dialogue, as a process of (at least) two people working to uncover the truth through reasoned discussion.

luka

me and craner and so much cleverer than the rest of you that we only have each other to speak to. the rest of you don't understand the subtleies and profundities of our conversation.

craner

Beast of Burden
It's always quite funny when Marxists boast about being taught to "think dialectically".

What they're really happy about is that they don't have to think for themselves anymore.