Benny Bunter

Frank Sinatra, on Elvis:

His kind of music is deplorable, a rancid smelling aphrodisiac. It fosters almost totally negative and destructive reactions in young people.

Also Frank Sinatra, on Elvis:

There have been many accolades uttered about Elvis' talent and performances through the years, all of which I agree with wholeheartedly. I shall miss him dearly as a friend. He was a warm, considerate and generous man.

version

Frank Sinatra, on Elvis:

His kind of music is deplorable, a rancid smelling aphrodisiac. It fosters almost totally negative and destructive reactions in young people.
Reminds me of John Wayne's criticism of Clint Eastwood.

version

Wayne didn't approve of Eastwood's Westerns. He thought they were vulgar, morally dubious and inaccurate. He sent him a letter criticising High Plains Drifter for not properly representing the people of the period and they had a somewhat strained relationship in general.

The Sinatra - Elvis thing above reminded me of it because it's the same dynamic: the older star thinking the younger's some sort of degenerate sullying their business.

boxedjoy

my grandfather was an Elvis impersonator in his younger days, he collects records and has several jukeboxes in his home. We once entered him in a national competition on TV for "Groovy Grandad Of The Day" and won, and he got to go on TV in his full costume and dance with the then-Scotland football coach and a presenter. Elvis has been a huge part of my life in that he is a massive icon to my grandparents.

But the music itself, I've always struggled to find a way into. Classic young-vs-old taste tensions in family banter, and me growing up with Napster and Limewire and the world of music at my fingertips means I just never really explored it.

Leo

28207c9a-ce16-46d1-8c40-f7915678ed4e.jpg