shitting on their own legend

blissblogger

"legend" may not be the operative word, but the way that Animal Collective have eroded whatever standing they had about 11 or 12 years ago is quite remarkable

craner

Beast of Burden
Hell on Earth is really good. Albeit not The Infamous.

There's some good tracks on Murda Muzik too. After that it was pretty much over, bar a few songs here and there.

They really suffered from Prodigy's (presumably health related) decline.

About every five years we get around to arguing with Luke about the relative merits of Hell on Earth, and I guess it's that time again.

maxi

hell on earth has a cheap and sinewy quality that i love. just film noir grit and no jazziness or soulfulness like infamous. not saying its better but..

luka

What is a microcapitalist? Tiny like the monopoly man? Like you could pick him up and drop him down the plughole?

bunnnnnn

Laibach really should've knocked it on the head some time around 1989 but still, there they are. Not sure they've really destroyed their legacy, more milked it beyond its worth, playing in North Korea, receiving endless indulgence for their persistence by being art-world adjacent and also being that funny Austro-Slovenian are they/aren't they fascist band.

sufi

lala
I tell you who has done the opposite of shitting on the legend, though you won't thank me for it,
Rick Astley has some sort of innate meme genius that he is just beginning to cotton on to

version

I tell you who has done the opposite of shitting on the legend, though you won't thank me for it,
Rick Astley has some sort of innate meme genius that he is just beginning to cotton on to
This, from his Reddit AMA, was good,

5259qVlIs0s.png

blissblogger

It's a singular act of defecation more than a prolonged self-enshitenment, but all the members of Talking Heads - with the exception of David Byrne - did reform in 1996 as The Heads, releasing an album No Talking, Just Head, with the vocals handled by people like Andy Partridge, Gavin Friday, Maria McKee, Gordon Gano et al.

They then toured with all the vocals supplied by Johnette Napolitano of Concrete Blonde.