Henri Bergson

HannahB

is that pure war?
Please can you elaborate so I can better understand? I think I understand.

Can the quote be interpreted that Einstein quantum physics’ disregard for Bergson’s speed (temporality or western idea of timeline/ progress as opposed to eg. cyclical) do not embrace consequences that appear in linear time? So Einstein has a type of ‘vertical’ time?

HannahB

Can the quote be interpreted that Einstein quantum physics’ disregard for Bergson’s speed (temporality or western idea of timeline/ progress as opposed to eg. cyclical) do not embrace consequences that appear in linear time? So Einstein has a type of ‘vertical’ time?
But this is like the movement image & time image of Deleuze on Cinema which splits (haha) the century pre and post ww2. Found this yesterday, interrupted temporality (1947) but the ending is 1950s already:

version

“…For me, this is the domination of the military-industrial complex: it is all the more frightening for political philosophy today because this philosophy has not thought about speed or speed articulated in space.”

What does this mean?
And what is Bergson’s time?
He's saying science was completely absorbed by the military-industrial complex after the invention of the atomic bomb and that no political philosophy arose to really challenge it, so it went into overdrive.

And I don't understand Bergsonian time well enough to explain it.

Last edited:

sus

His sense of time defined modernism... It's all over Proust it's all over Woolf. His thoughts on laughter, tripping, and habit formed the groundwork for schematic cognitive science in the 20th century. The most famous philosopher in the world at one point. And then somehow all but forgotten.

Never read him though, any good?

version

I think the Virilio thing at its most basic is that the split between philosophy and science resulted in us losing sight of how technological developments make us feel, how we perceive them, and so "progress" continued without that in mind, hence the problems with stuff like information overload online.

Last edited:

linebaugh

I meant the source of the excerpt.

linebaugh

“…For me, this is the domination of the military-industrial complex: it is all the more frightening for political philosophy today because this philosophy has not thought about speed or speed articulated in space.”

What does this mean?
And what is Bergson’s time?
I only know of Bergsonian time through secondary sources so keep that in mind but from what I understand its essentially the lived experience of time as a virtual pool that we jump back into at any point (rather than rewinding the tape linearly) and also serves to 'activate' certain moments in the present that it rings harmoniously with.

The significance of the Einstein and Bergson meeting is that Bergson has a humanistic understanding of time and Einstiens theories of relativity are scientifically valid but have no use for humanity in their calculations. So that the two could not understand one another is symbolic of the eventual triumph of science over politics. The concern with speed is that technology makes processes so fast that politics becomes impossible- if Russia launches a nuke our way we have no time for political deliberation. Similarly the understanding of politics as a means of ordering space becomes impossible as the speed of modern tech renders the distance between things arbitrary.

version

The concern with speed is that technology makes processes so fast that politics becomes impossible- if Russia launches a nuke our way we have no time for political deliberation. Similarly the understanding of politics as a means of ordering space becomes impossible as the speed of modern tech renders the distance between things arbitrary.
Yeah, the other example Virilio uses is the speed at which trades are being done on the stock market via computers.

linebaugh

Yeah, the other example Virilio uses is the speed at which trades are being done on the stock market via computers.
I wanted to make a list of modern phenomena/tech that uses the language of speed but I cant think of anything beyond 'instant messaging'

version

I only know of Bergsonian time through secondary sources so keep that in mind but from what I understand its essentially the lived experience of time as a virtual pool that we jump back into at any point (rather than rewinding the tape linearly) and also serves to 'activate' certain moments in the present that it rings harmoniously with.
The way I currently think of it is like a tank full of fish where the fish are events and you can just grab whichever one you want.

version

I wanted to make a list of modern phenomena/tech that uses the language of speed but I cant think of anything beyond 'instant messaging'
You get people talking about laptop boot times like they're talking about a car going from 0 - 60.

Reactions: sus