Henri Bergson

HannahB

Time and consciousness as emergent. If an an acorn falls from the tree and no-one is around to see it grow, will it change form etc

Archaeology has the odd good read on temporality when you get an advancement in dating systems. Alasdair Whittle has written on cyclical and linear temporal frameworks of a continuous cosmos worldview in the deep past and how enculturation of time shapes interpretation, then and now. Sites not just as calendars but mnemonic markers within converging planes of existence

Lee Smolin says you can have time without space. Far out

Oh great, who are they? And yeah then define: space
sorry to keep asking so many questions

HannahB

The very simplest way to think about it is the electrons that surround the atom switch back and forth between energy levels, releasing and absorbing energy of different wavelengths, according to strict rules and amounts of energy (quanta).
So ‘quantum’ is related to electron energy (quanta) not nuclei splitting ?

WashYourHands

Cat Malogen
Whittle was a part of undergrad course briefly, complete bellend of a bloke and an alumni of Rick Stein but writes well

Smolin is the kosher Mekon of physics

HannahB

Yes. The forces holding atoms together may share some of the same rules, but I don't know to be honest. Quantum gravity would imply that.
cool

HannahB

So we have been conceptually led to believe that the atomic bomb rent a hole in the fabric of space time which left fallout layers discernible in never melting Arctic ice and it was all just a lie, the bomb was merely the biggest meanest continuation of mechanical war and the supposed chasm was just more modernist fear of alienating death without a place for the spirit to go to any more?

version

Another interesting bit in that Virilio book is him talking about the limits of experimentation.

He says without experiments science is back in the realm of magic, but that we've progressed so far we're risking catastrophe by actually attempting some of them, e.g. the first nuclear test at Trinity when the scientists didn't know how far the chain reactions would go and whether space wouldn't just disintegrate, also CERN switching on the LHC.

WashYourHands

Cat Malogen
Decisions decisions

Spielberg warned the world with his films - fucking round with close encounters, then nazis fucking around with the Ark

sus

I wanted to make a list of modern phenomena/tech that uses the language of speed but I cant think of anything beyond 'instant messaging'
It's more boring than that. If there was an Italian futurist thing going at least the aesthetics would be good.

Comfort and convenience, not speed, is the value hierarchy which governs the Valley and its self-justification PR—from dogs in the workplace and WFH to Uber/GrubHub/virtual apartment tours, virtual meetings, hoodies—its in the UX design, it's in Netflix autostream and clothing return programs.

Clinamenic

Binary & Tweed
Oh is that true?
Don't know how accurate it is, re: nuclides (pretty sure its 238, don't know the child nuclides), but yeah it doesn't involve quantum theory, to my knowledge, just a mass of uranium 238 that I guess is thermodynamically precarious enough to be destabilized by a single neutron, and split into some number of smaller particles including I believe two free neutrons, which then collide with neighboring U238 atoms, energy being released upon every collision.

Not sure how quantum mechanics could be engineered into a bomb, or what kind of tactical ballistic advantage could be derived from quantum theory.

Clinamenic

Binary & Tweed
The very simplest way to think about it is the electrons that surround the atom switch back and forth between energy levels, releasing and absorbing energy of different wavelengths, according to strict rules and amounts of energy (quanta).
One thing I haven't been able to understand here is how electrons move across their energy levels, by absorbing a photon of a sufficient energy? But then re: units of energy I'm lost, but I think planck's constant is how we go between wavelength and energy.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
The curve of binding energy explains why you can have fission and fusion bombs, that split or combine atoms respectively, converting mass into energy, and why there isn't an iron bomb. Also the title of a great book by John McPhee.

I was going to reply earlier to say that nuclear and thermonuclear bombs are not in any way quantum bombs. Chemical explosives are arguably more quantum in nature, involving electrochemical energy release, rather than the unleashing of nuclear forces, though Cherenkov radiation and breaking energies associated with nuclear energy release do manifest via quantum effects.

View attachment 8814
I've never heard anyone use the phrase "quantum bomb." Chemical and nuclear processes are both quantum-mechanical in nature, so I don't think one is "more quantum" than the other. But an understanding of QM was necessary for the design of nuclear weapons, no question, whereas chemical explosives we obviously used for centuries before QM was developed.

Last edited:

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
One thing I haven't been able to understand here is how electrons move across their energy levels, by absorbing a photon of a sufficient energy? But then re: units of energy I'm lost, but I think planck's constant is how we go between wavelength and energy.
Correct. Energy is Planck's constant times the frequency, which is inversely proportional to the wavelength.