Universally agreed terrible film(s)

IdleRich

IdleRich
Happy gilmore is a five star classic one of the best comedies ever made. Right up there with dumb and dumber
Someone in real life told me the other day that this is actually a good film - I'd always avoided it like a disease that made your knob fall off, is it honestly good or are you somehow in cahoots with Pedro to trick me into watching this?

Last edited:

maxi

even the people who liked star wars episode 1 and episode 3 hated episode 2 i think

IdleRich

IdleRich
I've just done a search for "citizen kane of bad movies" on google and the top answer was "The Room" - awful film, one of the worst ever that I have turned off midway through, but doesn't count because there is a cult following ( I can't laugh at it, feels cruel to do so, as "not all disabilities are visible" )
Never seen it but deliberately avoided mentioning it cos of that cult following.

maxi

Someone in real life told me the other day that this is actually a good film - I'd always avoided it like a disease that made your knob fall off, is it honestly good or are you somehow in cahoots with Pedro totrick me into watching this?
No I genuinely love it. I saw it as a child so that might factor in, but no I think it's great. christopher mcdonald is especially good as the villain. carl weathers is hilarious in it too. and sandler of course.

I love the sandman and was really glad to see when paul thomas anderson showed so much respect for him and all those films that the critics hate so much. In Punch Drunk Love it's like he took that sandler screaming child character and transplanted him into the real world and exposed the darkness lurking under all those films. but it actually made me appreciate them even more. and happy gilmore is the archetypal example of that classic angry sandler character.

obviously it's really silly type humour it's not for people who only like political satire, but I fight back when people say it's 'dumb'

WashYourHands

Cat Malogen
That's just a film you don't like. It's not terrible and far from universally agreed to be so.

it’s the epitome of insipid, Valium necking avoidance of white, middle class horror, so much so the print should be destroyed

it is ontologically terrible, a true crime against film and we don’t have to agree for it to be so - the portrayal of love, friendship, fuckin Duck Face, lazy speeches about bathos, even KST can’t save it

defines why and how New Labour came to power because we can all get drunk and hug our fwends

catalog

The matt dillon one? It's got some very tedious bits, and adds up to nothing, but I really like matt dillon.

WashYourHands

Cat Malogen
Now you're associating me with the film. That's a mistake. I'm simply saying that your hatred of the film blinds you to its universal popularity. In your anger, you have killed the younglings.

No. Satan can occupy the souls of men, including yours

It is our duty/vocation to identify the Beast’s terrible works, lance it and exorcise it back to the gates of Hell

If you don’t have the stomach for this work, others do