IdleRich

IdleRich
Sweet. I mean I"m being a bit annoying cos we're off to London tomorrow but only for a few days... how long are you around?
According to googlemaps East Hanney is... one minute drive from where I am sat now so I should be able to get it together to join for a beer if you fancy on the 4th or 5th.
That can't be right, it's close but even I don't drive at 4miles a minute.

IdleRich

IdleRich
Sure, I tend to come home for Christmas every three or four years so you never know.

Ok, I'm allowing myself another tune of the day to make up for the disappointment, Liza managed to grab this 12 out of Truck Store (next to The Star) before I saw it. Two nice tunes....

william_kent

Miles Davis - Santana

one of my presents to myself this Christmas was the Miles Davis "Bootleg Series Vol 7" CD set

only listened to the first tune, but "wow"

i.e., 6:05 ish : Detroit techno Millsiean chord wash but it is 1982

jazz guys hate "electric Miles', and the "electric kosmigroov guys" tend to think that his "career" ended in 1976 when he drew the curtains and settled into a routine of banging up pure coke into his thighs and romping with at least two or three Japanese ladies at a time

but six years later when the curtains are pulled open... light follows darkness...

Last edited:

IdleRich

IdleRich

When I worked at London Underground my boss was called John Holt... he was a lovely but very boring old geezer whose hobby involved an old London Bus that he and his geeky mates had clubbed together to buy. He wasn't qualified to drive it on the odd exhibition journey it made but he could pretend to be the conductor.... every time I saw him I couldn't help thinking what 1,000 volts of holt might be.

holt.jpeg

william_kent

John Holt - Police In Helicopter

rewind...pull up..etc,

edit; just realised I have had too much to drink, but this still stands as John Holt's finest couple of minutes?

Last edited:

IdleRich

IdleRich

John Holt - Police In Helicopter

rewind...pull up..etc,

edit; just realised I have had too much to drink, but this still stands as John Holt's finest couple of minutes?
The ending is lovely... I prefer Ali Baba though

King Tubby's version is called I Trim The Barber which I like to believe or perhaps pretend is some kind of solution to the famous barber paradox thing https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Barber_paradox which is literally Russel's Paradox and basically (almost) the same argument that Turing reduced to in his demonstration that the Halting Problem could not be solved and Godel used for Incompleteness etc

william_kent

The ending is lovely... I prefer Ali Baba though

King Tubby's version is called I Trim The Barber which I like to believe or perhaps pretend is some kind of solution to the famous barber paradox thing https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Barber_paradox which is literally Russel's Paradox and basically (almost) the same argument that Turing reduced to in his demonstration that the Halting Problem could not be solved and Godel used for Incompleteness etc

I sort of doubt that to be honest..

but, yeah, the King tubby version rules...

IdleRich

IdleRich
Yeah I think it's more to do with Baba/Barber but it does sound like s solution to the "Who shaves the barber?" question doesn't it.

william_kent

feeling that's why you're a man of leisure / international DJ and why i have to slave away to pay my rent sort of question....

pwned

Last edited:

william_kent

sort of reminds me of this all too brief snippet of a UK teknival from this year ( 2022 ) where I thought "hang on, isn't that John Holt's Ali Baba?!'

eggTek 2022 11 stages Freeparty Rave Dorset

( unknown to me squat rave / teknival / N2O balloon fuelled D&B version of John Holt's Ali Baba ) *

* sure I'm fishing for clues here, if i ever get to play on the "free party sound system" again, this may be a contender... etc' - enlighten me ) **

** obviously I would only ever play the original John Holt / King Tubby configuration, but international DJs know you have to "please' rather than "educate"the kids, so i would sort of like to know what the youth friendly ( ooh, err...no saville! ) version is called...

Last edited: