Leo

The problem with pleasure is it quickly stops being pleasurable

no it doesn't, you get to enjoy it and count your blessings.

even if it did stop, at least you enjoyed it for awhile, which is better than nothing.

luka

alright, let me rephrase it so it is less ambiguous. any pleasureable thing becomes unpleasureable with repetition

IdleRich

IdleRich
The problem with pleasure is it quickly stops being pleasurable
Yeah, that's what they want you to believe. That's one of the ways they prevent revolution... I can just see Musk talking to one of his worker bees now "yes, you spent the day in a windowless room with a load of arseholes doing tedious work in front of a screen, being ordered about by a bullyilng idiot and the highlight of your day was a two minute smoke break, and I spent the day - as every day - doing exactly what I wanted whenever I wanted.. reading or fucking, travelling or loungijng by the pool, eating the best food or taking the best drugs etc etc but, I'm so used to it and as a result your day was actually far more rewarding than mine. Oh how I envy you and your honest days work, You should pray that you never end up like me trapped in the shallow emptiness of utter paradise".

OK, I'm kinda joking. Some of what you say is true or at least partly true, money does diminish in value, your second billion is not as good as your first and so on. Pleasure is diminshed by repetition of course... but at the same time, it's still better than almost everything else AND an inventive mind such as yours or mine wouold not get bored and dulled like that. There are so many things I want to do, I really don't think I would just sit by the pool downing martinis and fucking or whatever.

martin

----
My dad used to roar anecdotes about having to walk three miles to school in the snow (with no shoes) and then having no dinner because he gave his last husk of bread to some consumptive cousin. He also once told me to pour frozen peas into a bucket and punch them until my knuckles bled, to toughen them up (my mum stopped him). He’d also shake me awake at 6am on Saturdays, after a hard week at school, and order me to take the dog for a walk. I used to think all radiators only turned on for 15 minutes each day. Even the time I dislocated my wrist after sledding down a hill in a binbag, I had to hear all about the plate in his leg from that time he came off a motorbike before he reluctantly took me to hospital (amazed he didn't just give me the bus fare).

So anyway, I ended up buying a nice mattress with a topper and drinking champagne in bed. Fuck discomfort! But I’ve always agreed with him on the heating thing - why would I give more money to those crooks at British Gas when I’ve already spent £20 on a hoodie?

Leo

any luxury becomes commonplace over time

there's the difference. your first post said pleasurable become unpleasurable, which is different from becoming commonplace. commonplace can be fine, even good. it just means it's more frequent, reliability can be a good thing. a luxury that becomes commonplace can seem diminished, losing some luster or fascination, but a drop from highly enjoyable to ordinary enjoyable is still enjoyable.

Last edited:

IdleRich

IdleRich
Also, yeah, if you do the same thing every day it may well become boring. But that's not pleasure ceasing to be pleasurable, that's you exhausting one particular route to pleasure, not the same thing at all.

woops

is not like other people
stop being so reasonable you lot, we all know that the search for pleasure leads only to a twisted parody of enjoyment, fruitlessly intensifying, taking bigger and bigger hits of whatever it is until you feel nothing but boredom and self disgust.
Check out these slippers, so warm and soft and pliable, I love it when it is cold enougg to justify slippers.
my brother asked for these slippers for his birthday, when they came he sent them back straight away and got a pair of trainers instead.
MC-F-LG-SY-A2-2.jpg

sus

Not an endorsement mind you it's just a meme and a prevalent meme, it sums up the basic conflict lines which include things like: discipline, willpower, decadence, spoiling your kids, and of course comfort.