robopop 2007-11

forclosure

actually i think danja may have been the real mastermind behind this not timbaland
around that time yeah he did alot of the work some people ride for Timbo's Shock Value album but as somebody who fell in love with his beats when he was working with Missy and Magoo and them while some of those beats might be good they just don't compare

maxi

This was 2002,

thats wicked i remember seeing that video on top of the pops at the time. sounds way better now

yeah there are probably tons of tunes that could be early proto examples. Madonna 'Music' is another.

but the core of this sound is something quite specific that was happening around 07-09 in particular. 4x4 tight clipped 808-adjacent drums with emphasis on the electronic conga tom. (although sometimes more of an R&B or electro rhythm). trance synth riff. ambient pads. r&b influenced vocals, with slight autotune or other weirdo vocal manipulation. lyrics and overall vibe directed towards glamour and fun but often with a strangely introverted element to the verses

version

bladerunner as fuck
Yeah, that sequence at 0:34's basically the aerial shot of the police station in BR;

Blade-Runner-Spinner-Landing-1024x409.jpg

maxi

i came across this one then realised this guy is loop da loop of speed garage fame

cant believe it's the same guy that made this

maxi

this keri hilson album is another touchpoint

good video. a duet but timbaland and keri h are never in the same room. instead he's watching her face on a gigantic screen from a shady room. digital surveillance as dating ritual

maxi

I'm here wishing you would stop by my place
But the only time we talk is on MySpace
By the way, have you found my replacement?
She should be the one on this spaceship
Waking up, reaching for you when you're not there
You got me in another galaxy, I'm out there

luka

why were you in Brussels though? that's what i want to know. seems suspicious. good thread otherwise.

its very clunky chunky music in comparison with the Timbaland era that preceded it you get the same thing with garage
into grime, slinky little numbers becoming harry lime clunkers

catalog

not sure i fully 'get' this thread yet, but seen as you are posting a few keri hilsons...

how about

i never followed cher lloyd's career but there something about this performance