robopop 2007-11

maxi

these threads are always tricky becasue what they describe is only ever an idea imperfectly realised in the material universe
yeah it's all too amorphous to fit neatly. there's a core ideal represented by a handful of tunes and many others that feature a lot of the same elements and complement them. and then some that have fewer elements but kind of fit. and then its just anything vaguely similar (e.g. in this case just any synthy pop music) thrown in and the concept seems to fall apart. but then you can refocus

woops

is not like other people
great scene. pretty sweet that the bad guy had ed-209 just waiting in the next room while he takes the piss out of robocop. also that ed-209 makes a sound like a baby crying when he can't get up.

maxi

why were you in Brussels though? that's what i want to know. seems suspicious. good thread otherwise.

its very clunky chunky music in comparison with the Timbaland era that preceded it you get the same thing with garage
into grime, slinky little numbers becoming harry lime clunkers
yeah i think this chunkiness is probably why the word robo seemed to fit to me

maxi

why were you in Brussels though? that's what i want to know. seems suspicious. good thread otherwise.
Haha I was just visiting my friend there. in hindsight it does seem strange that i mentioned that i think i was just trying to flesh out the story

Benny Bunter

Got the first one on now it's good!

Was thinking, would miss independent/ramping shop fit in here or not really?

Benny Bunter

.this, like the midi horns thread is an offshoot of the 2000s worst decade ever thread.
Good thread though- 'robo' is a descriptor that works for alot the music of that era. Akon, flo rida, iyaz, t pain, sean kingston just off the top of my head- early autotune like vocal manipulation but it doesnt have all the liquid wobbliness that gives its current users that human feel. And the preset synths too
This is the neon screams argument more or less

luka

this music fucking awful lets get it right but that doesnt mean its not a great thread

luka

no idea cos its not playing i might like it but who cares what i like, i just like talking about things and noticing stuff and going, did you notice this?